Your best "near" wilderness camping destination in Canada

KKrueger

Go to Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Hop on the Algoma Central Railway heading north just east of Lake Superior. Hop off at any of the many lakes and rivers along the way. Hop back on and go further. Repeat until you have had enough and go back south.

The passenger train just stops at the tourist attractions and turns around. Used to be you could get the freight train to stop at any mile marker along the line to drop you off or pick you up.

Fishin & Hunting

Been fishing in Ontario many times while growing up in MN and SD. 47 years ago at the age of 16 me and a friend drove north from Sioux Lookout, Ontario. Drove north from there till the logging roads stopped. Put a canoe in the water and went another 100 miles from there. We encountered swift rapids, great northern and walleye pike fishing, moose, bear, and gods country.

CamoClad

I have always wanted to do one of those fly in trips. I guess just because of the remoteness. Would be my luck I would forget something !
Part of the fun is making due on these trips. We always forget something (and take some stuff we never needed). Based on what I have read in your posts over the years, I think you would love it and be just fine at adapting as necessary. As long as you pack fishing gear, rain suit, and a good pair of boots, you will be fine until the plane comes back for you! I have a hard time finding another place like it where I can relax and enjoy the outdoors so much, and escape technology (it doesn't work that far north) except for the emergency sat phone in the cabin. Man, I could use a week of perc pot coffee, walleye dinners, and evening campfires about now.

We will be camping up in your neck of the woods in late October, if you want to come by and visit (I can PM the details), you can talk with several of us who have a bunch of fly-ins under our belts that we love to reminisce about!

CamoClad

If I were going to Canada on a self-guided trip, I would consider a canoe trip through the Wabakimi Provincial Park. BWCA is also a great place but you will be almost guaranteed to see no one, save a few fishermen on fly-in lakes that you may portage through if you make a trip through Wabakimi PP.

You might also find some ideas on Walleye Central by researching past threads in their forum. Every once in a while there is a decent trip report from someone who does like KK and H&F talk about in their replies above.

I hope you are able to put something together. Fishing in Northwest Ontario is really special and I hope to continue to do it for many more years.

greg_n_clayton

Part of the fun is making due on these trips. We always forget something (and take some stuff we never needed). Based on what I have read in your posts over the years, I think you would love it and be just fine at adapting as necessary. As long as you pack fishing gear, rain suit, and a good pair of boots, you will be fine until the plane comes back for you! I have a hard time finding another place like it where I can relax and enjoy the outdoors so much, and escape technology (it doesn't work that far north) except for the emergency sat phone in the cabin. Man, I could use a week of perc pot coffee, walleye dinners, and evening campfires about now.

We will be camping up in your neck of the woods in late October, if you want to come by and visit (I can PM the details), you can talk with several of us who have a bunch of fly-ins under our belts that we love to reminisce about!
That would be great ! I look forward to hearing from you Sir ! Thank you very much for the invite to visit !

greg_n_clayton

If I were going to Canada on a self-guided trip, I would consider a canoe trip through the Wabakimi Provincial Park. BWCA is also a great place but you will be almost guaranteed to see no one, save a few fishermen on fly-in lakes that you may portage through if you make a trip through Wabakimi PP.

You might also find some ideas on Walleye Central by researching past threads in their forum. Every once in a while there is a decent trip report from someone who does like KK and H&F talk about in their replies above.

I hope you are able to put something together. Fishing in Northwest Ontario is really special and I hope to continue to do it for many more years.
A paddle boat or a motor boat would be a more affordable trip I would say compared to a fly. The little lake I enjoy here is only accessable by boat to camp on. But like anywhere...going there and being extremely unfamiliar with a area could be challenging as far as having the experience you are looking for ! Same goes for the swamps. I know about the mountains. I would love to experience the SWAMPS and not as a tourist ! Experience it as if I were a local. There is a difference !