Your thoughts

C

Cward

JBowers said:
A non-hunters is not an anti-hunter. However, they are only an inconsiderate, discourteous and disrespectful act away from siding with that viewpoint. I think you may have misunderstood Phil's point.
NO, I understood it. People will make up their own mind whether or not to hunt. It's not for everyone. To hunt is to kill. People are not ignorant of that. We choose to hunt and people know what that sometimes entails, I' m just saying we should not be ashamed of the fact we hunt and sometimes people are going to see the kills.

matthewsman

"harvest" or "kill"

I go out of my way repeatedly to keep my mouth shut in unfamiliar or hostile political climates.I try to use the right catchwords,buzzword or whatever PC correct term is acceptible at the time.I feel often times we try to be polite and understanding of peoples sensitivities,while people who don't believe like us are laying naked in the street protesting fur,or turning mink loose or throwing blood on people.They are not shy at all exhibiting their feelings or passions.I am often unsure whether to bring up the fact that I hunt in professional situations.I understand some paople are turned off by the sight of a deer hanging out of a truck,but is that enough to make them anti-hunter?People make their assumptions about us when thay see us dipping,big tire truckin,decaling in the windowing,rebel flag waving ,camo wearing in public.Most guys who do these things feel they have a right to do it,they don't hold it back or hide it.The old you wear your X and I'll wear mine thing.I have never heard of someone saying "I'm not an anti-hunter because the last 5 guys who passed me with deer had them covered,however if I see one uncovered that is the issue I will turn anti-hunter forever.The people that don't like it would not like you no matterwhat sensitivity you showedthem.They don't understand the primal nature of it .I too believe to each his own.For me,I will not be shy about showing my deer tastfully in the back of my truck,because I know other guys are just like me.They will be stretching their necks to see what we have killed and giving the old thumbs up.I'm sorry there are other people that find it ugly,but I don't accost them when they are doing what they enjoy.Anyway,if you got him flaunt him...donnie P.S.Quit apologizing for engaging in a legal activity that supports wildlife and outdoor activities for all the people of our state

Timbo

All of opinions are to each their own,In albany where I grew up it was a custom to road ride it for a while to meet all your buds to show off a nice buck.But I'm talking country dirt road or meet up at a field.

But I wouldn't take it into town and parade it up and down slappy boulevard.I was taught to have respect for the non hunter and what they might not be to enthusiastic about my kill.

In our busy towns you usually dint see this every day.

JerryC

Having read both sides of the discussion, it will still be my choice to hide my kill. If I want to show it to someone that may be interested in seeing it, I'll do so. But maybe I am modest, maybe I just think people in general don't like to see ANY dead animal, whether it is roadkill, a squished roach, or a trophy deer, but I think it is a good idea not to flaunt your kill. I wish everyone felt that way too, but if you don't, you don't. -JerryC

GeauxLSU

I shot a buck last year and I was going to go home after stopping by at the processor, so my truck bed was full of my gear and I had no place to put the deer except ON the tailgate for the ride to the processor. I wrapped him up in some camo burlap I always have. It was obvious to everyone who had a couple of brain cells working what it was and you could even tell the outline of the rack and I think he may have had a hoof or two sticking out. However, you couldn't see the deer and likewise, no blood, no guts, no tongue hanging out etc... etc...
When I got to the processor, they were full so I had to head down the road to another. When they (the two guys at the processor) saw me pulling away and saw how the deer was obscured, they got simultaneously annoyed (sort of insulted really) and amused. ::huh: I was just amused. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Last edited:

Timbo

Thanks for the replies.To me, I just sort of see a sport slowly go away due to population growth and anti-hunters.
Acts like this only adds to putting bad images in the eyes of those who don't understand our sport.

I never said it was wrong or right,lets just think of others.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Well, I do my best to hide my deer. Just out of personal taste if anything. I don't have a trailor, so if I get one, I've got to tuck it beside my 4 wheeler and coolers. Somebody may see the top of ones head and ears over the top of my bed, but that's about it. I really like it when all somebody can see is a big set of antlers sticking up and nothing else!!!! ;)

As for offending people, those type of people need to learn how to overt their eyes or plain just don't look at it. Nobody's forcing them to look. I'm personally sick of worrying about offending all these sensitive people our country apparently has nowadays.

Tommy

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
leo said:
necessary to hide or to overtly display my dead deer, I am aware of the attitude on some of the public towards our passion and do try and take that in consideration when I transport a dead deer. :)

The scene you described was probably gross and upsetting to some and, IMO, unless it was absolutely necessary (no other choice) .... "I" .... would not "choose" to display/carry my dead deer like that.

By being considerate of others and courteous towards their feelings I do not feel embarresed and it's really a small gesture on my part to go the extra mile :)

Did I always feel like this, no I didn't, and I am guilty of driving around with the tailgate down and the antlers displayed as best I could. While I only did this in rural areas and feel I was probably not anymore "wrong" then than I am now ;) I have made a personal choice and respect others right to do the same :)

leo

WELL ..., I just returned home and transported my dead deer hone ... IN THE BED WITH THE TAILGATE DOWN :eek: ...
But honest I didn't do it before I installed my bed extender last week ::ke: :p ;)

PS; It's the white one on the right :yeah:

leo

Attachments

• 11-04.JPG
    11-04.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 85

Timbo

"HAHAHAHAH ",you sure you didnt buy that meat at the Piggly Wiggly store near your truck?.

leo

Timbo said:
"HAHAHAHAH ",you sure you didnt buy that meat at the Piggly Wiggly store near your truck?.

I wish sometime I could, with the money I spend on hunting related gear and activities whatever they charged would be "cheep" :bounce: :bounce:

Actually that's "FRANKS" at Jackson Lake on 212 and their new paint job, wish they had been open, I'm about due some of their Fried Catfish :clap: :clap:

leo

Timbo

I had forgotten they just remodeled it this year.As they say"we have the best salad bar around".LOL

Yea, I live off lake jackson road and should have recognized it :eek: .

Where you hunting at?

leo

Timbo

I hunt just SE of Monticello, off 11, near Adgateville :)

leo

the HEED!

Banned
Put it up on the roads...

Cover it up on the roads and show it off to your buddies when you get home. They (Liberals and tree huggers) don't think of blood and death when thier eating a whopper but they don't want to see a dead animal that lived free and was harvested by a hunter who is going to feed family and friends with it's meat. They hate us already, don't add fuel to thier fire. :shoot: