Youth Muzzle Loader Suggestions?

SWAMPFOX

I'm in the market for a muzzle loader for my 11 year old grandson. He has short arms so I need something with either an adjustable stock or one with a length of pull around 12.5-13".
Thanks

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Not sure if you're looking for an inline (Not looking to stir up that pot--I got mine for WMA hogs), and I think they are discontinued, but the T/C Impact is a solid value option and has a removable 1" stock spacer to allow adjustment from 13"-14" length of pull.

Full Disclosure: I haven't had mine long enough to give a detailed review of it, but I will say that all of the good things people say about them seem to be true so far.

TarponStalker

I'm in the market for a muzzle loader for my 11 year old grandson. He has short arms so I need something with either an adjustable stock or one with a length of pull around 12.5-13".
Thanks
Look for a Thompson Center New Englander. They’re not fancy or expensive and he will learn about loading and cleaning muzzleloaders properly. I see them for sale periodically. It will also teach him something about how our forefathers survived and protected themselves.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
A Traditions Buckskinner, or TC Treehawk would work nicely.

My grandson The Kid keeps eyeballing my little Buckskinner and is aggravating me to teach him.

50gr of powder and a PA conical seems about right...

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
The Knight Wolverine is a shorter inline ML. I bought one this year, not realizing that. It's a full 3-4 inches shorter than my Traditions inline.

SWAMPFOX

I decided to get a TC Impact with a removable 1" stock spacer. Problem is I can't find one available. It gets better. I just got off the phone with Thompson Center (they're now part of Smith & Wesson) and it sounds like they are in a transition. I guess COVID and supply chain issues are causing some serious fire arm disruptions.

SWAMPFOX

While trying to find a TC Impact on line I found this at accurateshooters.com:

Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc. (NASDAQ: SWBI) plans to divest (sell off) its Thompson/Center Arms (T/C) brand. This T/C divestiture as part of a “broader strategic plan” by Smith & Wesson to focus on its core S&W brands. So soon Thompson/Center rifles, muzzleloaders, and single-shot pistols will no longer be produced by Smith and Wesson. Accordingly, if you’ve been thinking about getting a T/C gun, now may be a good time to buy. We predict inventories will be sold off at discounted prices. NOTE: S&W remains committed to providing customer service to current T/C gun owners.

The date was May 5, 2021

RamblinWreck88

While trying to find a TC Impact on line I found this at accurateshooters.com:

Smith & Wesson Brands, Inc. (NASDAQ: SWBI) plans to divest (sell off) its Thompson/Center Arms (T/C) brand. This T/C divestiture as part of a “broader strategic plan” by Smith & Wesson to focus on its core S&W brands. So soon Thompson/Center rifles, muzzleloaders, and single-shot pistols will no longer be produced by Smith and Wesson. Accordingly, if you’ve been thinking about getting a T/C gun, now may be a good time to buy. We predict inventories will be sold off at discounted prices. NOTE: S&W remains committed to providing customer service to current T/C gun owners.

The date was May 5, 2021
Sorry you can't find one. I heard about their announcing their intent to divest T/C but it seems that they have yet to do so 8 months later, so I don't know what's going on. At any rate, it seems to be an unfortunate time to look for one. Haven't seen any of them in stock anywhere after having looked some more; seen a few on the cursed GB but havent seen what they're going for (There's actually one up right now but I wouldn't bite on it if you twisted my arm).

Last edited:

SWAMPFOX

It gets more interesting. I found one up in the north east, Vermont, I think and was gonna buy it until the guy tells me they can only ship it to and FFL dealer. So I started looking for one. Found one and the FFL guy tells me the regs/law changed so that even muzzloaders now have to go to an FFL dealer. That is the first I've heard of that. Anyone else able to confirm this?

RamblinWreck88

http://dps.vermont.gov/content/new-vermont-gun-laws-faqs

As of 2018 Vermont thinks a muzzleloader is a firearm, and must be transferred by FFL.
I'm not getting that from what you posted. On the contrary, the bottom of that page says "The definition of 'firearm' does not include 'an antique firearm,' the definition of which can be found at 13 V.S.A. § 4017(d)(2)." The referenced statut includes the following in its definition of an antique firearm: "(C) Any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol that is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and that cannot use fixed ammunition." Am I missing something? Always happy to learn something new.

My short answer is that I don't know why they'd require an FFL. My best guess is that the fellow in Vermont has some degree of confusion, perhaps because a blackpowder T/C Encore would require an FFL and you're trying to get a different T/C? I don't mean to be arrogant and tell someone that they don't know their own state laws, but there are several technical "muzzleloaders" out there which require an FFL, so maybe they're just playing it safe in their minds. I've seen the same requirement with several listings on GB, but not with all of them.

SWAMPFOX

Finally tracked down at TC Impact at Bass Pro in Macon. I called them seeing as they only had one and asked them to hold it for me. They agreed and I drove from my home in Jax. Fla. to Macon, bought it, and drove back in one day. It has a removable spacer in the stock so it should work for my grandson. Looking forward to trying it out.

I will say the folks in the Macon Bass Pro gun department were helpful and were waiting on me with the rifle ready to go.

RamblinWreck88

Finally tracked down at TC Impact at Bass Pro in Macon. I called them seeing as they only had one and asked them to hold it for me. They agreed and I drove from my home in Jax. Fla. to Macon, bought it, and drove back in one day. It has a removable spacer in the stock so it should work for my grandson. Looking forward to trying it out.

I will say the folks in the Macon Bass Pro gun department were helpful and were waiting on me with the rifle ready to go.
Glad to hear you found what you're looking for. I was looking for ML supplies yesterday and I found myself wondering if the guy on GON ever found his T/C Impact. I hope your grandson takes a liking to it.

FXJ

Doesn’t matter to me but do you need a ffl to have a ml shipped in SC or can you have it shiped directly to your house?

Rabun Guy

I'm not getting that from what you posted. On the contrary, the bottom of that page says "The definition of 'firearm' does not include 'an antique firearm,' the definition of which can be found at 13 V.S.A. § 4017(d)(2)." The referenced statut includes the following in its definition of an antique firearm: "(C) Any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol that is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and that cannot use fixed ammunition." Am I missing something? Always happy to learn something new.

My short answer is that I don't know why they'd require an FFL. My best guess is that the fellow in Vermont has some degree of confusion, perhaps because a blackpowder T/C Encore would require an FFL and you're trying to get a different T/C? I don't mean to be arrogant and tell someone that they don't know their own state laws, but there are several technical "muzzleloaders" out there which require an FFL, so maybe they're just playing it safe in their minds. I've seen the same requirement with several listings on GB, but not with all of them.
In the state of Georgia, muzzleloaders are considered a firearm. Convicted felons are not allowed to own or use one.

RamblinWreck88

In the state of Georgia, muzzleloaders are considered a firearm. Convicted felons are not allowed to own or use one.
For the topic at hand (shipping), they are not considered firearms in Georgia; that is to say, Georgia residents can have a muzzleloader shipped directly to their door. So we were trying to figure out why someone in Vermont said that they needed an FFL to ship a muzzleloader to Georgia. Possession by a felon was never in discussion.

FXJ

Thanks getting one for my grandchild just lazy don’t want to go shopping.
Vermont may be a good guy but this is why I live inSC . Just sayen

Latest posts