rest question?

deersled

I just started shooting a recurve about 3 weeks ago. It's a slow process, but I'm definitely seeing progress!:clap: The bow I'm using has a "bristle" like thing as a rest. Works fine, I guess. I see alot of guys shoot right off the shelf (no rest at all). What's the difference? Is one way better than the other? The bow I'm shooting doesn't have sights and I'm trying to figure out this instinctive shooting thing also. Any advise would be appreciated. Wish me luck!

reviveourhomes

What your probably using is the brush rest. Its fine. There is a big debate about whether using a raised rest is more accurate or not. Some think it is some think its not. I personally dont use one. I like shooting off the rest. Its all personal preferance really.

As far as advice my best advise would be to make sure your arrows are tuned PERFECT and then Practice, practice, practice! Its not like compounds where you can take off for months and then come back and begin shooting 3" groups in 10 minutes of practice. Its an everyday thing with the recurve. Some people just dont have the time for that and thats fine but if you do have the time and determination you will have the time of your life!

Al33

The very first chance you get find an experienced instinctive shooter that doesn't mind coaching and critiquing you and shoot with him. Buy a few videos and/or books on instinctive shooting and you will save yourself a lot of trial and error time.

reviveourhomes

Yeah, I should have said that. If you have someone that can watch you shoot and help you with your form it is GREAT! Its so hard to know what your doing when you first start. But when you have someone watching you they can tell you everything you are doing.