turkey hunter shot in walker county. 9twice

jcarter

Banned
Turkey Hunting Accident
In Walker County, Georgia, a 15-year-old boy turkey hunting accidentally gets shot twice.

It happened off Walnut Grove Road.

The sheriff says a friend mistook the 15-year-old boy for a turkey and shot him twice, once in the back of the head and once in the back.

The sheriff is calling this an accidental shooting right now.

He has not released the boy's name or condition yet.

Buck&Tom Hunter

Hate to hear that. I know a boy who yall might have heard about that was shot point blank a couple of months ago with a turkey load in the stomach. He's doin alright but is still in pretty rough shape.

blindhog

I never understand how a hunter mistakes a camoed hunter for a turkey......They should start prosecuting severely for such, then these guys might wait to actually SEE what they are fixing to shoot!

cmghunter

SIMPLE-NNNNNOOOOOO EXCUSE!!!!!!!

Take his hunting privilages, before someone gets killed.
Maybe it's just me but i'll NEVER understand how you could shoot someone while hunting.JMO

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Turkey

Guess he saw the beard and all...?

DCHunter

I never understand how a hunter mistakes a camoed hunter for a turkey......They should start prosecuting severely for such, then these guys might wait to actually SEE what they are fixing to shoot!
I agree. There's absolutely NO excuse for it.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
That is terrible Mr. Carter. There is no excuses for shooting someone. My Prayers and Thoughts are with this young man and his family. Tim

turk2di

Quit calling these things accidents & start tossing these people in jail will drastically slow down such irresponsible behavior!

Trizey

Who shoots without identifying the target? And he shot twice??

J- That wasn't far from where you hunted with me last year.

Kwaksmoka

I had a close call like this opening weekend! I set up early on 2 birds, one out in front and one to my left. The bird out in front was coming, gobbling a good bit, while the other one only gobble 1 on the ground. I was looking for the one out front, and figured the other bird was henned up and went the other way. I had my gun up and ready searching for the bird, I knew he would appear any second, when out of nowhere BOOOOOOOOOOM! A shot rang out right behind me. After nearly dieing of a heart attack I jumped up yelling to whoever it was. I went ovet to him, the bird to my left came in behind me silent. He had heard the other bird and snuck in quietly and shot the gobbler. In all actually he shot directly towards me, he was about 75-80 yards away. He had rights to hunt the property, but there were plenty of other places he could have gone, the property is broken up into different tracks. To make it worse he parked right by my truck and still came in where he heard the bird. After a heated conversation, with some of the dumbest crap i've ever heard come out of a grown mans mouth,"I put all the pellets in the turkeys head" etc I left. To this day this yahoo:crazy: , doesn't see what he did wrong!

By all means if you are hunting somewhere others may be, communicate with them, I was REAL lucky! Thanks to the man upstairs ::; I wasn't hurt! Please be careful!

My prayers go out to both hunters involved and their families!

-kwak

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry to hear about the teen...KS, glad to hear you're okay! No more hunting privileges for life; lose his right to own a firearm; and hard time in the slammer...to begin with for these dopes!
Sue

Public Land Prowler

Well to shoot him the first time is outrageous,but the second time?I guess it could be easy to confuse a teenager screaming in pain with a turkey in distress?What an idiot.I hope he gets more than what he deserves.

gbl81955

From what the news is telling, the 15 yr old was wearing a red ball cap. He was with a friend and his father. It was the father that accidently shot him. The adult should have known to never wear red, black blue or white into the woods while turkey hunting and also to know where his hunting partners were located

Toffy

Slightly parallel point

There are no automatic hunting priviledges costs on the shooter; there should be.

Were this an automobile infraction, then there at least would be a record of the violation on the drivers license.

Were this to happen in SC, the hunting license would be pulled for a specific period of time.

In Georgia, DNR stays out of it.

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
There are no automatic hunting priviledges costs on the shooter; there should be...

In Georgia, DNR stays out of it.

I understand this would be a criminal investigation, however, for the life of me, I fail to understand why this isn't jointly investigated and prosecuted with the DNR. It seems in the past these "accidents" (they are NOT accidents) end up plea bargained or convicted of lesser charges. Had this occurred on Main St., the perp would be convicted of attempted murder. When it happens in the woods, it's an accident with no jail time.
How bout it DNR, are hunters not deserving of equal protection under the law?:banginghe :banginghe
Why do we need the DNR if they won't actively stand up FOR the hunters and the law? :cheers:

Gadget

100% agree

Want to kill someone legally, just take them hunting.......:rolleyes: you'll get away with it everytime!

Last edited:

Jasper

To make it worse he parked right by my truck and still came in where he heard the bird. After a heated conversation, with some of the dumbest crap i've ever heard come out of a grown mans mouth,"I put all the pellets in the turkeys head" etc I left. To this day this yahoo:crazy: , doesn't see what he did wrong! -kwak

What an idiot this guy is! :banginghe

Glad you're OK.

Prayers to the young man and his family. ::;