Squirrels in the attic .. All too true

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Three ministers had churches very close together in a small town. One was Methodist, one Was Catholic, the other was Baptist, They were talking one day and it seems the attics in all three churches were overun by squirrels and they all wanted rid of them. The Baptist said we have our own way of getting rid of them, The Catholic said they did too, The Methodist said we do too.
About a year later they all met up again and were discussing the squirrel problem. The Catholic said we've got just as many as ever, The Methodist said we do too. The Baptist said we don't have a problem anymore. The Catholic said I'll tell you what we did, we put traps in the attic and caught all of them and took them down the road a few miles and let them out, but they all came back. The Methodist said we weren't that humane we poisoned them, the scent was awful and now other squirrels have taken their place.They asked The Baptist what did you do to get rid of them? He said it was simple, we took all of them in as members. Now we only see them on Christmas and Easter!

PWalls

Too true!

I have a devotion for Sunday morning assembly that has been weighing on me now for a few months about this very same thing.

We have a core group in the church that does nothing but come to sunday school in the morning and sunday morning worship service. That's it. They are Christians on sunday.

No I realize there are always mitigating circumstances and some people can't make it all the time. But I am pretty sure that is not 100% true with all of these people.

Where are they on Sunday and Wednesday night when we gather for intercessory prayer for our church and community? Where are they when we have bible study on Thursday morning?

The problem is that I can't find a nice and easy way of asking those questions in front of them on Sunday morning.

CathyW

Good story. It brought to mind the Ray Stephens' song, "Mississippi Squirrel Revival." Growing up, I definitely went to church with "sister Bertha-Better-Than-You!"

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Re:

It wasn't my intention to just tell ajoke but to point out we to do as the BIBLE SAYS: Heb:10:25: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

CathyW

Sorry if it came across that I took it as a joke. I didn't take what you said that way, but the fact that some of the people who DO come to church, and do it regularly, can be SO sanctimonious, came to mind. It was the "Squirrel" part that triggered it. The person I referred to was so Pharisee-like that she actually ran people off from our church. She was an acid-tongued woman.
Again, I apologize if you thought that I was making light.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Re:

Cathy we've all saw people like that. No offence taken, GOD Bless!