Seeking info

bubbadawg

Hi guys,
I've been a compound bow hunter for quite some time but have felt the need to go to traditional archery. I have recently acquired a PSE longbow and was wondering what ya'll shot- wooden arrows or carbon(modern) arrows when you go hunting or in competition?
I am seeking wisdom and look forward to our discussions.
:flag:

bam_bam

i have shot wood and aluminum. they both shoot fine. i prefer wood shafts though

Al33

Wood is my preference but I also have aluminum and carbon arrows. It has been a long time since I hunted with aluminums. I really appreciate the woodies when it's cold because they do not freeze my finger like the aluminum ones do.

I have some 5575 GT's with 100 gr brass inserts I like to shoot on the 3D courses but have yet to hunt with them.

It really all boils down to personal preference, and in most trad circles you will not be thought less of if you shoot carbons versus woodies, however, there are some competitions that mandate or restrcit what arrows you can shoot.

ky_longbow

i shoot wood, aluminum, and carbon-
it depends on the situation at hand-
i shoot wood while hunting squirrel---flu flus
i shoot aluminum most of the time- easy to tune to the bow and are priced reasonable-east to cut to length and so many spines-
carbon on the other hand can be a beast to tune to a specific bow- and you can gather a small fortune in a dozen- by the time you get them tuned ----
but they are very durable and hard to beat -----
just my .02 worth-

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I have aluiminum and wood, but I prefer the wood arrows. I know my long bow does not like the aluim. arrows, so only wood slides on it's shelf. I guess it's really a personal preference and what works for you and your bow. I have never tried any carbons could'nt tell ya about them, some folks swear by them, others swear at them LOL ;)

Southbow

I've always shot wood since going traditional, but I've tried a few carbons and they fly like darts.

Starting out I would suggest getting some aluminums or carbons that are spined correctly for you and your bow, then if you want to switch to wood later you can. I've talked to a couple of guys that tried wood arrows right off and had a hard time getting the spine right, had poor arrow flight (in addition to learning correct form) and got really frustrated with Traditional bows.

chris

ky_longbow

good advice from Southbow-------:)

WildmanSC

The Natural Way - Wood

My longbows prefer wood. They are much quieter due to the heavier weight arrows.

I know, you can do things to get aluminum and carbon arrows weighted up. But I prefer to do it the natural way with wood. :biggrin3:

Bill

chinquapin

i shoot carbon off my longbow i shoot a savannah made by martin and they fly like darts and i use no weights you definately need to get some flu-flu's their alot of fun

bubbadawg

Thanks to all

Wow. I had hoped to find a place to share and gather info.
Looks like I found it.
Thanks to all who posted.

bubbadawg:type:

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
You are quit welcome ! Thanks for asking !
When anyone ask a question, we all tend to learn a few things from all the different answers, no matter what our level of "expertise" !
That's the glory of meg. boards such as this, "we all Learn" !!
Jerald

choctawlb

Welcome to the Forum there Bubbadawg.:banana: Glad to have another stick bender join the ranks.:cheers:
Ken