Allatoona or Pine Log

fltcrew21

My buddy and I were gonna try squirrel hunting on Allatoona or Pine Log WMA before the season closes this month.

I have a couple of questions first. We drove up and found the check-in stations this week but no DNR folks were home.

Do you have to check-in for hunting small game on a WMA as long as you have the WMA license or do you just park and walk in anywhere?

I know finding squirrels this late in the season (without dogs) would be a chore anywhere but can anyone give me an idea of where to park and go in?

Any info would be appreciated.

GA DAWG

No check in required.Just pull over and hit the woods.If it was me I'd go to allatoona.It has a pretty good population of fox squirrels.Hunt the corps land around the lake.Start around macidonia campground or cemetary rd.Big sign off hwy 20 will point you in the right direction to the campground.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
I agree that Allatoona would be much better for small game hunting. Pine Log does have some fox squirrels, but the terrain can be pretty tough. Also, Pine Log has its gates closed until turkey season so you would have to walk in.