Christians and war

Woodsong

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the intersection of our christian faith and believers going to war? It was mentioned on the thread re: Jehovah Witnesses. I know also those following an anababtist tradition won't take up arms in war.

Please don't interpret this post as "unpatriotic" or not being grateful or aware of the amazing sacrifice our soldiers offer up each and every moment of every day. As Christians though, how do you/we reconcile our taking up a gun to shoot the very person we are praying for? For the record, I 100% support the war in Iraq but this is something I have been thinking about in the back of my mind for some time. We, as believers, should be praying with all of our might for both sides of the fence..the USA and Iraq/middle east. If there as ever an area and a people that needed the salvation and restoration of Jesus it would be the middle east! But then again, I believe it was mother theresa who once said the most impovrished (sp??) people she knew were us in america with our social and spiritual seperation on so many different levels.

So then, how do we reconcile being a disciple of Jesus and taking up arms in war? How would Jesus respond to this situation?

BANDERSNATCH

Well, we know that Jesus didn't mind people defending theirselves, as He told the disciples to buy a sword if they didn't have one. (Unless that was just to carve up lunch meat with :cool: ) I believe that He would agree that nations can 'defend' itself as well.

Bandy

GeauxLSU

Woodsong said:
So then, how do we reconcile being a disciple of Jesus and taking up arms in war? How would Jesus respond to this situation?
Not sure if Jeff's quote was related or not (since that is the verse used in the movie) but I always think of Sgt. York. (If you haven't seen the movie WATCH IT!). As you may be aware he struggled with the same thing yet became one of our biggest war heroes ever. He came to the conclusion, that I instinctively felt but never verbalized, that in war, he "killed to SAVE lives". As long as the U.S. goes to war to SAVE lives, then I believe it is just and not in conflict whatsoever with our Christian teachings.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hambone

War is, or should be, about self-defense (national defense, etc).

I'm reasonably sure that self-defense would be considered acceptable to our God. I certainly believe that it is.

::; :flag:

Jeff Phillips

Were the actions of Joshua acceptable to God?

He drove whole tribes and nations before him. Killing and plundering in the name of the Lord!

David was a true "Warrior King"!

There are many many references to war and killing those that need it through out the Bible!

BANDERSNATCH

Psalms 24:8 - Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.

Sounds like a meek, passive God to me. :speechles

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Every war is guided ultimately by religion

gordon 2

1,000,000 canadians served in WW11. Most were christians, some were jews. No big dilema between what to do and what not to do. All who served were volunteers!

GeauxLSU

dbone said:
Every war is guided ultimately by religion
Really? Viet Nam? Korea? Mexican/American? WWI? Civil War? Current conflicts in Africa? Invasion of Cyprus? Faulkands? Mexican revolution, Spanish Civil War, etc...
Those were ultimately about religion huh? :rolleyes:
Actually with the exception of the agressor in current conflicts pointing to Islam, what wars were about religion in our lifetimes? (Though I'm sure you'll point to WWII, I'll disagree so give me another)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

gordon 2

Religion is in the mix regards conflicts, but only in the mix. It is not the principle cause for marshal conflicts.

A good example of this is the Irish/english conflict in northern Ireland. Is the conflict about religion only? No!

GeauxLSU

gordon 2 said:
Religion is in the mix regards conflicts, but only in the mix. It is not the principle cause for marshal conflicts.

A good example of this is the Irish/english conflict in northern Ireland. Is the conflict about religion only? No!
Exactly. Nor was WWII, though I know he'll claim that.
If religion did not exist, most (every?) war I mentioned and many many many more would still have been fought and will sadly be fought in the future.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

270win

Ecclesiastes 3:1,8
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:........a time for war and a time for peace." -King Solomon

spongebob

that's the beauty of our country, we are free to make the choice. Each of us has to decide what is in our hearts. It doesn't make anyone right or wrong, just different. My choice, defend the innocent. God bless america! :flag:

dbodkin

If they can say Jihad why cant we say Crusade?

gordon 2

Because.

We are we and they are they, that is why. ;)

Gaswamp

I don't think Jesus would be an advocate of war in any situation.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Swampy,

Are you saying that think Jesus would have us sit by, ringing our hands while someone slaughtered 10's of thousands of His children?

Gaswamp

Well Jeff, Obviously I am speculating and only opinionated. However, I form my opinion from what the Bible gives us as well as some history. The Jews were oppressed by Rome. Jesus had his way of dealing with it and Barabbus as well as some others had there way with dealing with it. so that is how I formed my humble opinion.