686 S&W What's the scoop?

hogmorton

A friend has a 686 SW with a 6" barrel and is Stainless Steel. Oh! It's a 357 mag. May be interested in letting it go. Anyone used one to hunt with...how far out is it accurate? Would you buy one and what is a fair price?

Larry Rooks

How far it is accurate depends on shooter and not the gun.
The 686 is an awesome revolver, smooth and best double
action on the market without doing a lot of custom action work. 6 inch barrel will be good for hunting. It is also a great defense gun to keep around the house, easy for wife to handle etc. Selling in high 400's and low 500's new.
I bought a used one for 275.00 but that is very rare, probebly mid 3's best you gonna get if in good condition

holton27596

You did great Larry. Van, 686 is an outstanding 357. deadly on the deer at the club out to about 50 yards. plan on around 600$ for a new one.

georgiaboy

Hog, I haven't found a short barreled 686 for less than $400 and I have been looking. I will pay cash today for a 2.5" 686 for $350! I love those revolvers!

StillerinGA

My favorite handgun, trigger is smooth as silk and accurate as idiotidiotidiotidiot. I have a six inch, seven shot.

Buzz

I'd trade someone straight up my 4" GP100 for a 7 shot 4" 686. hehe... (hearing the crowd say "I bet you would) I haven't seen a good used 686 under $425 in a while either.

7Mag Hunter

Don't know the current value, but I have had one for 10 yrs or
so...Great shooter, easy to maintain and fun to shoot...Suggest
you get a good rubber grip, as the original wood grip is a bit
hard on your hand after an afternoon of shooting...Really have to
clean the barrel good if you shoot alot as magnum loads will foul
the barrel (copper) after 50-60 rounds....Take 5-10 mins with
copper solvent, and ready to go again....Accuracy restored....

leoparddog

I've got a 686 7 shot in the Mountain Gun Model - Stainless. I love mine! I've read on the S&W boards they only made about 2,000 of them. I almost sold it. I'm glad I found out before I did.

georgiaboy

I've got a 686 7 shot in the Mountain Gun Model - Stainless. I love mine! I've read on the S&W boards they only made about 2,000 of them. I almost sold it. I'm glad I found out before I did.

I remember and I wanted it!!! Glad you still have it, sounds like a ood one.