Value question

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
One of my customers has asked me if I'd like to buy 2 of his rifles, great guy, no worry about anything shady here but just curious what they may be worth?

Ruger mark 77, 7mm rem mag, wood stock, blued, Leupold, little scratching on the flip out mag bottom but still a great looking gun in great shape,

Ruger mark II, 338 win mag, stainless barrel and matching Leupold 3x9 scope, wood stock (not laminate, came with laminate, he had it sent back to ruger and had a wood stock installed) sharp looking rifle.

Both appear to be in great shape, clean barrels, as far as I can tell everything is in working order. What would they be worth, not sure on age?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Model 77R in 95% about $325
Model 77R MKII in 95% about $345 but wasn't shown with a laminated stock...that might be a Model 77RS MKII if it had fixed sights

I see them on GB from $850-1,300 with no bids

rmp

As mentioned, check gunbroker but look at completed auctions. (Under the advanced tab) Then use your judgement.
Open auctions without bids are useless.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you want them, considering the Leupold scopes and very nice conditions, I'd wave $1000 cash in his face for the pair, and all ammo he has on hand.

One time offer, and not another dime.

That's more than he'd get at a dealer or pawn shop, and would be a pretty good deal for you.

Jester896

Senior Clown
^^^
good stuff railroader

when you knock the 20-30% off the open auctions that trial&error mentioned you pretty much get what the ones that sold went for. So maybe the open auctions are of some use. I think I even saw one that started a $.01 and got no bids :huh:

Last edited:

rmp

My apologies. I didn’t realize there was any confusion.

On open auctions anywhere, one can ask whatever they wish. Just look at powder, ammo, and some firearms. X amount of people asking ridiculous prices doesn’t set the market. Look at the completed prices on comparable items and as large a sample as you can. It’s unlikely you’ll find said item identical (condition, chambering, outfitted the same, etc) so that’s where the judgement part comes in. Same goes for optics and accessories. When someone comes to me looking to sell, I will buy well below the market. Business sense 101. Often folks don’t want the hassle of selling via auction or consignment. When/if I decide to trip their merchandise, I won’t be losing money. I like to be fair, but not take a hit on their behalf. People talk and the fact a customer came to you says a lot about his trust in you and your business practices. Both parties being happy with the outcome is my goal.

Edited to say “my” goal instead of the goal.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I'm not sure what you think is confusing

I re-read the OP and I see the MKII .338 is in stainless and I didn't catch that. It would change the Blue Book values I posted by about +$30 for the rifle only.

I am not that up on Ruger, but the only laminated stocks I am aware of for those earlier series are on the M77VT MKII series with target gray stainless until you get to the newer Hawkeye or GS Series. Most of the plain stainless ones that I am aware of are either boat paddles or some other synthetic type.

Railroader still offered him the best advice in my view. I don't know where he hunts around Hahira, but I doubt he will need a .338 Win Mag to kill it, that one might sit in the safe.

I see that you liked the comment that trial&error post. I am not sure he is speaking of auction that sold or just listings. But if you take the 30% off of the range I see listed in the post I posted, you could come up close to the $625 that I saw one of the exact same rifles the OP posted that sold for with some type of scope on it.

rmp

I see.
I was apologizing because I could’ve been more clear from the start regarding open auctions and using judgement…and on.

Last edited: