Help me pick a rifle

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Can't go wrong with m70, they are awesome!
Whatever stock you decide on.
Good luck!!

sea trout

And like many others have stated already get the BEST glass you can put on it!
Buy nice.... or buy twice!!!!

sea trout

Ahhh ha ha ha I just read page 2. I'm late to party.
Congrats on getting M70!
My brother has Vortex on his m70 308 .
my wife has Swarovski on her rifle.
Both hit where they're aimin! My spouses Swarovski is hands down hard to beat!

Tight Lines

I ended up going with the Model 70. I also have a Vortex Viper 3-9x40mm scope on the way (closeout price was too good not to bite) for temporary use until I can afford to pick up a Svarovski. The Vortex actually has nothing but great reviews on it’s own, but we will see for the price. Good news is the Svarovski model I want will fit the same rings as the Vortex. I ordered a set of Talley Lightweight low rings and Winchester Standard rings. I’ll see what fits the scope and send the other back. Also have some wipe-on poly and a jar of renaissance wax on the way. I think that for a rifle to be used mostly locally this will serve me well and also serve as an heirloom for my kids hopefully. I’ll pick up a synthetic stock one day, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it for my first bolt gun. Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

I have 2 of the Vipers, and 2 of the Swaros. When you get the Swaro get the ballistic turrets. With your phone you can set up any round and then set the turrets. I zeroed my 6.5 CM at 100, and then used the BT to dial it in at 200, 250, 300, and 400. Hold and shoot. It is about the easiest thing to do in the world...you just range, hold dead center in the reticle, and squeeze...it was dead nuts on for me...that on my Tikka T3X stainless/synthetic is the bomb...

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use Strelock Pro for my rifles zeroed @ 100. It is pretty spot on too. It stores multiple rifles, has multiple bullets already entered, as well as scopes and reticles twist rates...etc. You can enter wind calculations with the exact yardage. I think I like it better than the BDC type reticles but they both serve me well.

buckmanmike

I have a Weatherby Vanguard. Its a tack driver. More accurate than me. Using a lead sled I have notched 3 shots at 100 yds. Mine is in .243 since Im old and dont plan on hunting anything bigger than whitetails. I put a Redfield Revolution scope on it and very satisfied.

rosewood

I use Strelock Pro for my rifles zeroed @ 100. It is pretty spot on too. It stores multiple rifles, has multiple bullets already entered, as well as scopes and reticles twist rates...etc. You can enter wind calculations with the exact yardage. I think I like it better than the BDC type reticles but they both serve me well.
I used to use Strelock, but for some reason I quit. Can't remember what issues I had with it or what. Now I use On Point Ballistics and I do like it better. It also doesn't limit the number of rifles with the free version. It does fail to have all brands/models of scopes though. Nikon SpotOn, also works well with Nikon scopes.

Rosewood

Tight Lines

You probably know this given how much you shoot, though the Swaro is not a BDC reticle in the traditional sense...you choose the round, and then choose where you want the 3 rings of the BT to be set at (yardage) and then you move the rings and the increments before you lock it down. Mine is set at 100, 200, 300 and 400...the further the distance, the more clicks between them due to the arc of the bullet...

Unless you want to adjust for angles, windage, humidity, etc. (I don't in Georgia) you don't need to use your phone again...you just have to remember where your dials are set and be able to do the math on clicks between the increments...

It does have a BDC reticle however if you choose to use that...though I don't use it, I just range, adjust the turrets, hold on zero...and squeeze. It is amazingly accurate with the Hornady ELD-X that I use in my 6.5 CM. I am sub-MOA at 100, and on a 6" plate at 400 using the BT dials...

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
It also doesn't limit the number of rifles with the free version.
Rosewood

I think the free version of Streloc does limit rifles as well as reticles. I use Streloc Pro, I don't know if it is unlimited on rifles...or I haven't entered enough to run out of room :D

I think I understand KS...similar to the rings some people use. We find the Streloc solutions pretty close to .25MOA elevation wise for where we have tried it at the entered yardage whether it is 200 or 267, sometimes that matters.

Tight Lines

I think the free version of Streloc does limit rifles as well as reticles. I use Streloc Pro, I don't know if it is unlimited on rifles...or I haven't entered enough to run out of room :D

I think I understand KS...similar to the rings some people use. We find the Streloc solutions pretty close to .25MOA elevation wise for where we have tried it at the entered yardage whether it is 200 or 267, sometimes that matters.

I think that's right, I've not used the Streloc tool...

On my Swaro the BT is similar to custom turrets though you are using the OEM BT adjustment with software and manual adjustments vs. an actual custom turret...for mine there are 8 clicks between 100 and 200...so 12.5 yards per click. So if I range it, and it says it is 175 yards I am going to dial 6 clicks and be spot on at 175. Given the distance between 100 and 200 the drop of the 6.5 CM 143 ELD-X is 3.84". Or on average (not exact since it is an arc) it is about .48" per click...given I can range closer than the increments on the scope, I am always within basically 0.5" at just about any given distance. The clicks between 200-300 are 10, 300-400 are 12...because the drop is increasing the granularity of the clicks becomes more critical...

Jester896

Senior Clown
...for mine there are 8 clicks between 100 and 200...so 12.5 yards per click. So if I range it, and it says it is 175 yards I am going to dial 6 clicks and be spot on at 175.
I'm not sure you will find that reliable on out there past that very far...might be nice to have something else to plot solutions. I hope you understand I am not knocking it...I use BDC a good bit and it is close to the same thing.

Tight Lines

I'm not sure you will find that reliable on out there past that very far...might be nice to have something else to plot solutions. I hope you understand I am not knocking it...I use BDC a good bit and it is close to the same thing.

I don't shoot anything beyond the capabilities of that scope and me...within 400 yards it is super accurate...I've tested it in a couple of different settings on 400 and 600 yard ranges...and out to 400, it is great...BDC to me is more complicated, because depending on the scope, when you zoom in your values change...that's too much math to me on the fly, not from the bench...I've got a number of BDC scopes that I use, though for most of my hunting rifles I really just use MPBR and don't mess with the BDC much...

It is sophisticated enough to compensate for inclination, humidity, temperature, windage, etc. if you want to take the time to use it...for me hunting, I don''t have much need...

I may get into shooting further, as I just purchased a .338 Win Mag and need to put some optics on it...I'll look into the Streloc...and I may spend some time with the 6.5 CM long range too...

Thanks for the tip!

rosewood

I have a BDC on my crossbow. Did some testing in field to verify the Nikon SpotON and it was Spot On. I printed out a piece of paper with the ranges for each bubble on the crosshair and taped it to my stock. You can do the same with the rifle scopes, be sure you do it for a specific zoom though. I would imagine anything 200+ yards you would want 10-16x anyway. So depending on your scope, you can make your DOPE chart at max magnification and rely on MPBR at closer ranges.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
...BDC to me is more complicated, because depending on the scope, when you zoom in your values change...that's too much math to me on the fly, not from the bench...I've got a number of BDC scopes that I use, though for most of my hunting rifles I really just use MPBR and don't mess with the BDC much...

On SFP scopes for it to be accurate...there is either a hash mark or it is accurate at highest magnification....no real math involved unless you vary from that... pretty much the same as any measuring reticle type scope....mils or moa. FFP it doesn't matter what power it is on it is accurate.

rosewood

The Nikon BDC with the SPOT-ON, lets you select the power and it gives output based on that, but you have to have your smart phone handy and may not have time to try different powers in the field.

Rosewood

Tight Lines

On SFP scopes for it to be accurate...there is either a hash mark or it is accurate at highest magnification....no real math involved unless you vary from that... pretty much the same as any measuring reticle type scope....mils or moa. FFP it doesn't matter what power it is on it is accurate.

I have both SFP and FFP, understand how it works...and agree with your point, since most of my scopes are SFP that are BDC, if you change magnification to know what the BDC hash marks are requires you to memorize or pull out your phone...not interested in that for hunting...for the bench it is fine...it is the advantage of a FFP BDC scope...

But again for hunting, there is nothing simpler than the BT Swaro I have zeroed at 100 or MBPR...

rosewood

That is why you tape a DOPE sheet on your stock. :)

Rosewood