Looking for a new rifle

ssramage

Looking for some suggestions. I'm going to be picking up a new deer rifle this year to replace a Whidden 6.5CM that I sold. Loved the gun but it was too heavy and long for what I'm wanting.

Here's what I'm looking for:

.308 with a nice synthetic stock

Threaded to accept a suppressor and short enough barrel to manage in a tower stand with kids all around me

Nice trigger and dummy proof safety in case I hand it to one of my kids

Accurate out to long ranges if needed

I'm sure there's plenty that fit the bill but I haven't really kept up with the market recently. I was thinking a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather but can't seem to find them in .308 anymore. Not terribly concerned with budget but if it gets too high, I'd go custom over factory.

ssramage

Sounds like you should take a look at the ruger American predator in .308
I've had several RAP, but ended up selling all of them. They're decent guns but not what I'm looking for. They all always felt cheap to me because of the flimsy stock.

Dub

Savage 110 TACTICAL

10-2019-11-25-04-14-3.png

Tikka T3X

t3x_compact_tactical_rifle.png

Dub

Rock solid stock....not too long.

A smidge heavy....but rock freaking solid...with lots of adjustability.

Same action footprint as M700 so aftermarket bases, triggers, etc will be easily sourced.

Mine came with a sweet trigger already (excellent for hunting).

I challenge you to beat the performance for under a $1,000.

hmrmobile-scaled.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ruger .308 tactical bolt action.IMG_1826.jpeg

01Foreman400

Staff member
The Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP checks all the boxes except she’s a touch on the hefty side at 7.2 pounds. If you added lightweight rings and scope should be fine though.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
9.8 lbs, it’s not light but there’s single shots that weight 9.5.
Not out of the range of reasonable.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I’m glad you mentioned this because I wasn’t aware so many different hunting rifles were threaded nowadays. I knew it was headed that way but wow it’s really become popular it looks like.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
A mix of modern and old school. Model 77 Ruger GSR. 24615D29-390C-4A12-8729-AB8554FF96CD.jpeg
Accurate, light, three position safety, claw on the bolt, threaded / w break, box mag (that one is three), I got a ten. Traditional ruger scope rings and a forward rail for scout scope. Mine has an aftermarket full rail and peep. Adjustable stock for kids… made by houge.

Loosely inspired by Jeff Cooper…

Last edited:

menhadenman

Savage 110 TACTICAL

View attachment 1227015

Tikka T3X

View attachment 1227016

I just bought the T3X CTR a year ago and it’s a shooter. I’d take this one over the others pretty easily.

Big Savage fan (or was), same with Ruger. But their actions and accuracy aren’t nearly as good.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

Just bought the Tikka T3x in .308 2 months ago. It is a sweet rifle. Have not hunted with it, just sighting it in. 3 shots and zeroed. I got mine in wood stock however, I am old school tradition. Can't wait to get in a stand with it this coming fall.
How is the wood stock on those?