Help me pick a rifle

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Is that the Gen 3 BOG shooting stick? How do you like it?

It was made by Primose. A combination walking cane and shooting stick combo. It was ok, but I much prefer a real walking stick that I make myself. By cutting it the same height as the top of my shoulder, it serves as a stable enough shooting stick as well.

walking stick.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
All good...my favorite scopes are either my FFP or Swaro BTs for that reason...the rest are great for the bench, not so much for hunting where you need to move fast...

i guess it is the whole math thing that throws me. yes, I would need math if I used the SFP reticle at any other setting outside of either of the 2 fixed on a bench. If I have time to range it...and dial up...I have time to turn the scope to the proper magnification for the reticle to be accurate...might even be there already if I was looking for spikes. My BDCs are all set up on 200 yd zero, I keep DATA on the rifle if it is a duplex type reticle in a stock pack or inside the scope cap.

It was made by Primose
Primos Bipod...I use their Monopod with my rifle like that.

Tight Lines

i guess it is the whole math thing that throws me. yes, I would need math if I used the SFP reticle at any other setting outside of either of the 2 fixed on a bench. If I have time to range it...and dial up...I have time to turn the scope to the proper magnification for the reticle to be accurate...might even be there already if I was looking for spikes. My BDCs are all set up on 200 yd zero, I keep DATA on the rifle if it is a duplex type reticle in a stock pack or inside the scope cap.

Primos Bipod...I use their Monopod with my rifle like that.

It isn't a math problem per se, it is having to either memorize the distances on the reticle or check the magnification of the scope or both...it is far easier to range the target, which I've already done before the deer arrives i.e. oak tree, crossing, plot corner, etc. and typically I am within my MPBR anyway so given the choice I would choose (inside 300 yards):

1. MPBR and just hold on target OR
2. Adjust my turrets to a known distance which is still likely within the MPBR OR
3. Use the BDC which is just overly complicated relative to the first two.

Like I said, if I were out West and shooting out to 400-500 yards then I'd use the BT first, and BDC second...though I much prefer the BT just as you prefer your custom turrets.

Again, this is all for hunting medium size and up game...if I was shooting off of a bench, I will use the BT and BDC because I am taking my time...or if I were shooting small targets like prairie dogs at distances where the MBPR doesn't give me the accuracy I need...

Not sure what is confusing about that...

Same thing I do with my bow...set it on 20, range several known objects from the stand, and dial the single pin to the distance I ranged based on where the game is...I can also range on the fly, but easier to range ahead of time...

Last edited:

rosewood

Same thing I do with my bow...set it on 20, range several known objects from the stand, and dial the single pin to the distance I ranged based on where the game is...I can also range on the fly, but easier to range ahead of time...

This is what I do, range things where I expect deer to walk out and make a mental note of the distance. I have even drawn a sketch of the view from the stand with landmarks and ranged then taped it inside the stand.

Rosewood

rosewood

Glad we brought up this subject. I added Lumenoks to my crossbow and it slowed the bolts down a bit, needed to update my DOPE sheet on my crossbow stock. All good now. :)

Jester896

Senior Clown
This is what I do, range things where I expect deer to walk out and make a mental note of the distance. I have even drawn a sketch of the view from the stand with landmarks and ranged then taped it inside the stand.

Rosewood

This is what I use to make them....then laminate them, ring them, and store them in my backpack

field range card.jpg
never knowing where one will walk out. This is out of one of my Storm Tactical Data Books. As you can see there is even spots to put elevation DOPE for each yardage so it is all at a glance. Good 180* view anyway. It gives you something to do when you go to the stand real early in the afternoon anyway.

Tight Lines

This is what I use to make them....then laminate them, ring them, and store them in my backpack

View attachment 1038203
never knowing where one will walk out. This is out of one of my Storm Tactical Data Books. As you can see there is even spots to put elevation DOPE for each yardage so it is all at a glance. Good 180* view anyway. It gives you something to do when you go to the stand real early in the afternoon anyway.

Interesting, cool diagram. So what caliber are you typically hunting with, and for what game? What is the average yardage and wind speed for a kill? What is your longest shot on a whitetail?

coastalredneck

Mine is a 270. I got it because I grew up shooting 270s. They a good average 300 yard easy gun.
View attachment 1037351
I got a Belgium early 80's BAR in 270 myself.. don't tote it much during during deer season unless I'm in a box blind of sort but I still shoot it a few times before every season (as well as my other hunting rifles) and it is a tack driver.. 3X9X50 Burris FF2 on it.. 150 gr Nosler Partitions it likes Federal Premium. beautiful rifles

Jester896

Senior Clown
What is your longest shot on a whitetail?

average really...I do remember one looking at me and hitting the white patch in the throat and it exited at the base of the neck just above the body...235 yards about with my .25-06. I remember one at 425 or so with my .25-06 that I didn't take...the mirage was horid...I have the confidence to do it now...but not then. I remember one close to 370 with a .270, and I was the spotter on a 606 yard kill...had to send 2 rounds...1st one went over...couldn't get a range on it until we got to it and ranged the truck hood we shot it from....nothing spectacular. I bang a lot of steel from 500-1200 yards...best one of those was a life sized turkey @ 1K...spine shot :)

Reactions: Dub