Help me pick a rifle

GoBraves

Hey all. Everyone was very helpful on my last post and I greatly appreciate it. I am hoping that some of you more experienced hunters can provide some insight for a rifle purchase. I initially wanted a Winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06 badly just because it is a classic and I love the look of wood and blued steel. Then, I started reading up on the effects that moisture can have on a wood stock and POI. This concerns me because a couple of times a year my best friend and I do a multi-day hunt deep in the woods in late season. It is often cold and wet and equipment gets wet and banged around. I don’t mind banging around the wood stock. Character marks are fine with me. I am worried, however, about the wood swelling/shifting POI and a resulting bad shot. This will be my only scoped hunting rifle, so if I were ever to get the chance to go out west and hunt for a week or so this is what would go with me there as well.
These concerns prompted me to start looking at options like the Tikka T3X/T3x Lite, Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather, Bergara Wilderness series, etc in various calibers. I would love some input on whether or not a wood stock/blued barrel will suffice for staying out in the elements for days or if I should be looking at stainless composite guns. If the latter is true, does anyone have experience with the three listed above? FYI, my budget is preferably around 7-800 for the gun and 4-500 for the scope and rings. Thank you in advance for your input.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Browning BAR !
Any caliber like 270,308,30-06 !
The best 4x12 power with a 50mm lens u can afford.
They have wood stocks u can bang around.
Mine stays on. It’s not babied.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
That deer has a broken neck at 150 yds about. That’s what was sticking out of the weeds.

ChidJ

The T3X is a solid option for a lightweight, tough bolt gun. Also accurate accurate accurate. Also, they've become very popular the past few years so aftermarket support has been growing. Maybe not a consideration now but down the road, who knows right?

That being said, you may have a tough time finding the stainless models in your budget. The same can be said of the Bergara. Both fine choices though and a used option will almost surely run like a top and save you a bit of money if you do some looking

GoBraves

The T3X is a solid option for a lightweight, tough bolt gun. Also accurate accurate accurate. Also, they've become very popular the past few years so aftermarket support has been growing. Maybe not a consideration now but down the road, who knows right?

That being said, you may have a tough time finding the stainless models in your budget. The same can be said of the Bergara. Both fine choices though and a used option will almost surely run like a top and save you a bit of money if you do some looking
I have actually already found the t3x lite stainless and the bergara, both in my price range brand new, along with a model 70 featherweight, so fitting in the budget isn’t as much of a concern as just making a decision.

pacecars

Get the best scope you can afford. 40mm is a big enough objective lens and will allow the scope to be mounted lower

bullgator

I have actually already found the t3x lite stainless and the bergara, both in my price range brand new, along with a model 70 featherweight, so fitting in the budget isn’t as much of a concern as just making a decision.
I like the Berger’s stock a little better, but the Tikka barrels are super accurate and would be my choice. My T3 lite in 6.5 x 55 is a 3/4” gun all day.

GregoryB.

I would go with the wood stock model 70. If the wood is sealed properly you shouldn't have a problem with moisture in the wood. Just wipe it down after it gets wet. You said you would be in deep woods so you won't be shooting long distance so POI shouldn't be affected much if any at woods distance. I just prefer wood over plastic for a stock.

Nimrod71

Your question on wood goes way back. Look at history, at one time there was only wood and steel. This country was taken with rifles with wood stocks and steel barrels. Yes wood can change POI but not to a great extent in a hunting issue. I hunted here in South Georgia with wood stocks and carried the same rifles and killed White Tail Deer and Elk in New Mexico, Wyoming and Idaho These rifles got rained on, snowed on, heat from 90 to -17. There are a number of tricks I used with these rifles: let them climatize get use to the weather, try to keep them as dry as you can, learn to shot them in all weather conditions. In other words know your rifle become a part of the rifle and shoot your rifle as much as you can. The more you shoot your rifle the better you will be with it. A model 70 Featherweight is a fine rifle, I have one in 7 mm Mauser.

TnHunter356

Banned !!
My vote goes to the M70 Featherweight. I've purchased 4 of the new FNH made rifles and they are very nicely made rifles. I've also owned 4 pre 64 Featherweights and I believe the new version to be even nicer.

If you're worried about moisture, pull the stock and seal the inside portion with a wipe-on poly finish. Another good trick to repel moisture is to clean the barrelled action and use a good wax on it. A spray wax applied with a cloth, allowed to dry and buffed off is a great protectant.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Some unscented furniture wax applied to the unfinished/unsealed areas of the wood, like barrel channel and areas around the trigger and action goes a long way to keep moisture from soaking into the wood on those times when out in the rain and snow.

ajtowe

Bergara makes fantastic rifles. I have a Bergara B14 HMR. It’s pricey but extremely accurate and durable.
Can’t beat Vortex optics. Anything in their line is good plus the VIP warranty is great if it gets damaged hunting.

bullgator

If you’re going to go the wax route, get Renaissance Wax. It‘s what the firearms museums use. A small tub will last a virtual lifetime. Just Google it.
You can also use it to protect the bluing.