Help me pick a rifle

GoBraves

My vote goes to the M70 Featherweight. I've purchased 4 of the new FNH made rifles and they are very nicely made rifles. I've also owned 4 pre 64 Featherweights and I believe the new version to be even nicer.

If you're worried about moisture, pull the stock and seal the inside portion with a wipe-on poly finish. Another good trick to repel moisture is to clean the barrelled action and use a good wax on it. A spray wax applied with a cloth, allowed to dry and buffed off is a great protectant.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
If I pull the stock, are there inch-pound tourque specs for the screws when I put it back together? The current models come with bedding installed. Do I apply the poly finish over that as well? Also I am assuming that I should do that before mounting the optic. Thanks!

TnHunter356

Banned !!
If I pull the stock, are there inch-pound tourque specs for the screws when I put it back together? The current models come with bedding installed. Do I apply the poly finish over that as well? Also I am assuming that I should do that before mounting the optic. Thanks!

I'd see how tight the action screws are on removal. I'm sure that there's a YouTube on any specific tightening techniques. I typically just tighten everything snug and alternate screws as I go. I'd not worry about putting any finish on the bedding material, but I doubt that it would harm it if you did.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Place a small pencil mark or crayon where the slots line up or the side of one of the hex areas and reset it to that mark noting what torque it takes to get it there.
Then, if it shoots fine just keep using that mark, if not adjust and mark accordingly

TomC

I bet if you spent a year researching the topic here and particularly at places with tons of die hard precision shooters like sniperhide.com somewhere between 8 and 9 out of 10 would say TIKKA......any TIKKA. Great triggers, components, barrels (basically a Sako), bolt slicker n' butter, and crazy accurate out of the box. Maybe consider a 25-06 to lessen the recoil in the lighter composite stock. Wood stocks also available.

nmurph

Whether or not you're going to be happy with a wood stock depends what level of accuracy you want to achieve. If you're looking for something that is capable of knocking a deer down inside 250 yards or so, a well-sealed wood stock will be adequate. If you are thinking about shooting targets or taking game at longer distances, they synthetic stock is definitely the way to go.
Most manufacturers will have the torque specifications on their websites. Investing in a good torque driver is a necessity if you want to optimize accuracy. If good enough is good enough, then hand tight plus a little bit will usually work. The same thing can be said of mounting a scope. . The downside who not following correct torque specs when tightening up scope is that you can crush the tube and damage the erector assembly. This will make it impossible to zero the scope.

HughW2

At your price point of $800 for rifle you could get the Tikka T3X in several options or the Bergara. The Tikka is clearly an excellent shooter and the few experiences I have had with Bergara are the are good to great shooters. You would not do badly with either. .270, .308, 6.5 Creedmore , 7mm-08 are all ideal for GA whitetails. Dozens of scopes in your price range. Leupold, Vortex, Meopta Meopro and Bushnell.

Last edited:

rosewood

At the risk of being attacked for my suggestion... I recommend a Savage 110 Weather Warrior. I picked one up a few years back in 30-06 because it was a good deal. It shoots inside 3/4" easily. Synthetic stock, all stainless, adjustable trigger. Wouldn't hesitate to take it on an out west hunt. And it is made in the good old USA instead of in Europe. Last 2 seasons, it was my rainy day deer gun.

Rosewood

ChidJ

I bet if you spent a year researching the topic here and particularly at places with tons of die hard precision shooters like sniperhide.com somewhere between 8 and 9 out of 10 would say TIKKA......any TIKKA. Great triggers, components, barrels (basically a Sako), bolt slicker n' butter, and crazy accurate out of the box. Maybe consider a 25-06 to lessen the recoil in the lighter composite stock. Wood stocks also available.

Those snipershide fellas are a fickle lot, though. And very glad to spend ALL your money for you haha. Proof Research and ZCO are the only way to go!..... this month

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
You've gotten some good advise above.

For the average shooter. You'll never notice the POI change in the field. So if you like wood get it.

30-06 is more versitle for hunting any game in North America

A good western guide would tell you. He'd rather you bring a $400 rifle with a $800 scope

Personally after hunts in B.C., Quebec, Kyrgyzstan, New Mexico,. I prefer stainless / composite

GoBraves

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Have given me a lot to consider. Has anyone had experience with the Weatherby Vanguard series? How would they compare to the Tikka or Bergara? Some of their models are a little less expensive and would possibly afford a better optic.

ChidJ

I don't have any experience with it but these fellas seemed to like it.

They also did a full review on it if you are interested. They ain't Georgians but their opinions are fair.

TnHunter356

Banned !!
I've owned a couple Vanguards, both Carbine models in .308. The first was purchased as the gift rifle in 2016 and I was so impressed with it, I bought another for myself. Both would shoot an inch if you did your part. Very nice rifles for the $$, but a tad on the heavy side.

chuckdog

The Featherweight is a classic. I've had several over the last 40 years, only own one now an FN manufactured 7X57 built on a long action. For me it pushes all the right buttons.

Plastic and stainless have their place, but classic blued steel and walnut is much more than a tool.

My foul weather rifle is an old hardwood stocked pre accu-trigger Savage 30-06 that I picked up cheap. I glass bedded it, tweaked the trigger, and added decent optics. With proper bedding I don't worry about the weather.

GoBraves

I ended up going with the Model 70. I also have a Vortex Viper 3-9x40mm scope on the way (closeout price was too good not to bite) for temporary use until I can afford to pick up a Svarovski. The Vortex actually has nothing but great reviews on it’s own, but we will see for the price. Good news is the Svarovski model I want will fit the same rings as the Vortex. I ordered a set of Talley Lightweight low rings and Winchester Standard rings. I’ll see what fits the scope and send the other back. Also have some wipe-on poly and a jar of renaissance wax on the way. I think that for a rifle to be used mostly locally this will serve me well and also serve as an heirloom for my kids hopefully. I’ll pick up a synthetic stock one day, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it for my first bolt gun. Thanks everyone for all of the advice!

chuckdog

I have Talley mounts on mine. Really good engineering.

My scope is a Zeiss Conquest. It suits the long action well.

Buckman18

I have both the featherweight and the extreme weather stainless model 70's.

Both are fine rifles. If you could just buy one, flip a coin. You'll be happy with either.