Marlin 1894 JM stamped

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was at a buddies house and he was getting something out of the safe and I saw this in the back corner. It is not exactly what I was wanting but it is close enough. The wood is a little rough in places but I don't think it is nothing I cant fix. Smooth it out and layer it up with True Oil.

It is a JM stamped 1894 in .44 REM MAG. I have been wanting one for sometime. He told me it has been in the back of his safe for years since he switched over to .41s. He tried to get me to take that long barreled Red Hawk too.

Like I said the wood is a little rough but just on the stock really but the forearm isn't as too bad. Bluing is in real good shape with only one rust spot next to the front strap. Little bit of patina on the door and the end of the barrel and tube.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 613

wareagle700

Looks good enough. A JM stamped Marlin with no safety is always a good find.

Non safety(?) is nice. I once had issue with a huge "almost" dead Georgia boar with the one with safety that I had.

They are great rifles, compact and powerful enough for most stuff.

Enjoy your New toy!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
:clap: Congrats!!!!!!!

Bam Bam

Congrats to Ya on the JM 1894 44 mag. What is the first 2 #'s of the Serial #? 19 is Mine on my Ole 44, makes it a 1981 Model! Subtract first 2 #'s from 100 and and it'll tell Ya the Year Model!

jglenn

great little rifles.. killed a ton of deer with my old 1894.. really deadly out to 75 yds. with 240gr Hornaday's.. the old bullets were terrific..

hayseed_theology

Nice. That scope rail needs to come off pronto. That thing is begging for a Skinner peep sight.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Nice. That scope rail needs to come off pronto. That thing is begging for a Skinner peep sight.

most certainly it will...it had a Trijicon something on it he took off and I told him I would bring back the rail. The rear sight has hammer marks on one side so that will probably get replaced. Might use Firesights or go back with factory...it will certainly work like it is.

on my .45-70 I use the XS Ghost but I mounted it in the front position...man it acquires a moving target fast. I am a righty but I mount my spur on the left too.

wareagle700

Skinners would look sweet on that one.

Jester896

Senior Clown
OK...you 2 talked me into it...wonder what it will look like turned around backwards :D

It should come apart in the next week or so...gently worked Marvel into the rust spot today...looks good so far

Sweet. I like the old marlins. I just wanted to add, the quality of the new Remington Marlins is excellent now. Like um so much I bought one. If anyone was holding off it may be time to give them another look.

jglenn

+1 the new 1894 I have has been perfect..

blt152

I love mine, light, compact and easy swinging. I haven’t had mine out for awhile but the last time i did it put a nice Georgia early season doe in the freezer. All them blemishes gives it character and now you can add your own. Congrats on a great find.

Jester896

Senior Clown
normally I would agree with leave it alone. there are several spots on the stock and one on the forend that the finish is to the wood. It will be here until I need no worldlies so not big deal.

sea trout

This post just keeps making me jealous!!!!!!!!!!
IDK why I keep looking at that rifle!!???

But if you plan on puttin it to work in the woods then my vote we be to leave as is cosmetically...if you plan to safe queen it, only then would I vote to re finish it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I've only been wanting one for 6-7 years and have never found one someone didn't think it was more valuably than I did.

what is a safe queen? :bounce: I think sitting in a safe for so long is what contributed to some of the stock scratches I showed in the above picture. I will try to get some pics of the other damage so you can see all I am looking at. it might just be a CDO thing really. I have had Marlins in the past that when in this condition got rapidly worst in the conditions I use them in (rainy swamp stuff).

It is coming apart for a good cleaning and inspection anyway. Looks like a good candidate for these Wipe-Out products I have been wanting to try. When I look down the barrel all I see is black. Them I will run the borescope down it for a good look.

Last edited:

sea trout

what is a safe queen? :bounce:

I don't know.

I'm just imagining how if I was lucky enough to get that rifle, or one like it, it would go to work on target shooting and hunting.
I wouldn't fix the blemishes.