went gator hunting this last weekend

cfbutler31

my brother, father, and i went to altamaha river to try and get us a gator. the rivers were very overflowed with water, with the water going way back in the woods. the flow of the river was real fast, and we quickly found out our trolling motor was not very good in the fast current. we saw a couple that looked to be every bit 10-12 foot long, and my brother tried to get them with a huge treble hook, the ole snag technique, that didn't work real well for us, then we tried some smaller back water that was a little calmer, and we had some more chances at them, i shot a muzzy gator arrow at a couple but it weighs about 14 pounds more than my carbon arrows, and could not seem to dial it in on the limited shots i got, we did notice if we went out early and hit the back creeks at low tide, we had the best luck with them just lying around near the creek banks, but we still could not get a good line on any of them. just about the time we thought we were just starting to figure out how to spot them, cut the engine, get the trolling motor going and go from the spotlight to small headlights, with a little confidence on our side from taking some short shots at them, our trolling motor battery died on us, well that was the end of our gator hunting adventures for this year. was a lot of fun, and i can't wait to go again next year. we are trying to convince ourselves this year that this was a training exercise for the real deal next year. :bounce:

rip18

At least you got a chance at several gators. High water makes it tough to get 'em for a bunch of different reasons. Sorry you can't make it back down before the season runs out. Better luck next year! :)

DaddyPaul

I just got in from an all nighter myself. Left at 7pm yesterday and got home at 8am this morning. We didn't do squat, water high as all get out here and the gators are way back in the trees. We have killed a 6 and a 10 footer so far with two more weeks in October to finish up. It is way harder than I thought it would be. I hunted with the man that harpooned the heaviest gator on record in Florida last night............1043 lbs. I don't reckon I want to mess with this fella.