And just like that....Gator season 2023 is in the books

Redman54

We were able to close out the 2023 season this weekend with a 9 foot Zone 8 gator We hunted opening weekend but pretty much got skunked. With my work and my boys class schedules, Sunday and Monday were the next and probably last hunting opportunity we were going to get. We headed down to the coast house Sunday morning and planned to hunt the afternoon until around midnight, and then Monday morning if need-be. We spotted a really good one at dead low in a creek up in Ossabaw but we couldn't get to him. We managed to hook him but he just walked across the mud flat into the marsh like it was nothing and broke off. We didn't locate any gator over 5 foot after that, so we headed to the house. Got up Sunday morning and headed back out. Tide was still outgoing so we hit a few fishing spots that are navigable at low where we have seen gators with no luck. We decided to head over to Ossabaw and check on the one from the last evening when we spotted this gator crossing Cattle Pen Creek. My youngest son hooked him, he got off, he hooked him again and he got off again and disappeared. After about 20 minutes he surfaced and my youngest hooked him again. We managed to keep him on this time and my middle son snagged him with the big hook. He then fought him to the boat for his big brother who quickly put a 10 MM round in him. He then finished him off with a spear I made. As always, this is a family affair. The boys do the work and mom films, takes pictures and keeps us safe....ish

34A193B8-A7BE-471B-ABDF-0F5840B1971B.JPGIMG_8339.jpgIMG_8346.jpgView recent photos (3).pngIMG_8341.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Don't get no better than that! :cheers:

Toliver

Congratulations, not so much for getting the gator but getting to have that experience with your family. Great story.