Taliaferro County

Hunter Haven

Hunted club this evening (09-21). Hunted a thinned out hardwood ridge that holds nothing but whiteoaks, redoaks, and a few hickories. The acorns from the whiteoaks are starting to fall on there on now. Deer seem like they are probably starting to use the oak groves. Had 3 deer on me this evening. One small buck, one mature doe, and a yearling. All 3 deer were seen at different times. Although the deer roamed the ridge, they all ate acorns heavily under one whiteoak tree. I had shots at both the small buck and the yearling. Didn't won't to take a shot. The big doe never presented a shot. The buck passed 6 yards from my tree and never knew I was there.

Woody's Janitor

Haven, you know you are driving Brandon crazy by having a better season. :clap: Keep up the great hunting.

Hunter Haven

That's pretty funny WJ. :bounce: Brandon(Arrow3) will be the first to tell you who normally ends up having a better deer season between the two of us. I won't count him out just yet though. He is overdue by all means. My last 5-6 deer seasons have been incredible. I've just about mounted a deer every year. It's probably about time for my luck to end, so maybe this year will be Brandons. He tells me every year without fail, "Haven you know you don't have nothing to worry about, if the monster is anywhere around he'll walk right up under your stand I'm sure." :bounce: ::huh: :bounce:

Arrow3

Its true....Haven usually does have a better deer season then me...Seems like when I do see a good deer he is either running wide open or a mile away .....Haven gets the broadside at 60yards shots...Last year is the first year I think ever that i had a better bow season then him....I killed 4 and he killed 2...I don't mind telling anyone that he usually does better then me deer hunting...I usually smoke the most turkeys... :)

Hunter Haven

My luck may be running out already. Went to hunt club this evening to hunt at the same ridge. I hate to say this, but I made a mistake. When walking to my tree I scared several deer off the hill. I herd them running off before actually getting to my tree. The good thing out of this is that they only herd me and didn't see me.After sitting in the tree awhile, and getting my arms ate off by the "little black nats", I herd some deer coming straight for my stand. They were in the planted pine thicket ajoining the ridge. This thicket is very very thick. A big doe started her way out of the thicket. She was about 13 yards away directly facing me. I knew if she stepped out into the road I would be toast. I decided to draw back just as she began to step out. Low and behold she herd me drawback and froze, facing me with only her head and neck in view. She patiently stood still facing me while I was at full draw. She was in no hurry to move and left me in position to start straining and shaking from having bow at full draw. I could not let the bow back down w/out spooking her. I decided to try and make the neck shot. I zeroed in and let the arrow fly. Guess what? I hate to admit it, but I missed. I've never been the one to make up excuses so I won't start now. I know I had gotten very tired from holding the bow back all this time. Hate this happened, but I am glad I didn't make a bad shot and wound her. :confused: