Contender G2 in 6.8 Rem

bka317

Hey guys. I was looking at Thompson's website and noticed they have the G2 in 6.8 Rem...I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this caliber, especially in a contender. Thanks.

ejs1980

I've shot one on an AR. The ammo is still a little high now but if you don't handload It would be a great hunting round for the contender. I read an article on it in a contender with a 14 inch barrel pushing 115 grain bullets at about 2700 fps.The ammo I bought was about 35 dollars per box of 20 that isn't too expensive for a hunting round but alot more than if the military had went with the 6.8 and trashed the 223

rayjay

Unless you also have an AR in 6.8 there is no reason to have one in a hunting rifle. The ammo choices are limited and there are other cartridges that do everything better . The 6.8 uses a 270 caliber bullet and the 270 Win will out perform the 6.8 in every catagory with only a bit more recoil.

rayjay

I have a Savage in 6.8 that would be my go to gun for yotes or deer . It has a pacnor bbl and is surprisingly accurate with SSA's old, hot 115 extreme ammo. The 6.8 has the same trajectory as the 223 but with lots more energy.

So I'm not saying that the 6.8 is a useful cartridge.

Remington has the Manage Recoil 270 ammo that basically duplicates 6.8 ballistics and recoil.

tom ga hunter

I have a contender carbine in 7-30 waters & love it. It is slightly more powerful than a 6.8 but a much better selection of bullets & cases can be made from a 30-30 or 375 win. Iprefer rimed cases in a contender.

bka317

tom ga hunter, Do you know if you can still still find factory loaded 7-30 Waters ammo? I don't handload. Thanks Guys!

mattellis2

a little off topic,

i actually have a box of this stuff (hornady tap) that i got as part of a trade. i don't have anything that shoots it, so i would sure be interested in swapping it for something i do...

.223/.308/45-70

i'm in macon if anyone is interested.

-matt

tom ga hunter

tom ga hunter, Do you know if you can still still find factory loaded 7-30 Waters ammo? I don't handload. Thanks Guys!

yes but with only 1 load & it's federal, Midway stocks it. If I didn't handload I'd go with a
30-30. Lots of different loads & chedep ammo at Walmart.. The 6.8 is based on a shortened 30-30 case.

tom ga hunter

Is a 6.8mm Remington SPC in your future?
Guns Magazine, March, 2005 by Holt Bodinson
Just when things were getting a bit boring around here, Remington launched a new medium-game hunting cartridge for 2005. Rumors about the existence of a special ops cartridge that was more powerful than the 5.56 and compatible with the existing M16/M4 platform have been swirling around for several years. Well, it's minor no more. The 6.8mm Remington SPC (Special Purpose Cartridge) is a fact. In fact, this new, compact 270-caliber cartridge might be on your dealer's shelf as you read this.

Bringing a military round into the commercial sporting arms market is old hat at Remington. Remember the 5.56x45 that Remington morphed into the .223 Rem? Well, the 6.8mm Rem. SPC may not become as popular as the .223, but it certainly will carve out a niche for itself in the light rifle/medium game arena.

»
It's an interesting cartridge with an interesting pedigree. Looking for a larger case but with a case head size that could be accommodated by an M16 size bolt, the military in cooperation with Remington found just what they were looking for--the old and virtually obsolete .30 Remington.

You may remember that famous series of Remington rimless cartridges that was created to compete head-to-head with Winchester's .25-35, .30-30, and .32 Special. The .25, .30, .32 and .35 Remington were efficient, accurate cartridges and chambered primarily in Remington's Model 14 and 141 pump actions, Model 8 and 81 semiautomatics, and Model 30 bolt action.