Another newbie question...

letsgohuntin

Like a couple of other guys on here, I'm planning on turkey hunting for the first time this season.

One thing I have always wondered... why do turkeys react to crow and owl calls?

These are used as locator calls, is that correct?

Ricochet

Like a couple of other guys on here, I'm planning on turkey hunting for the first time this season.

One thing I have always wondered... why do turkeys react to crow and owl calls?

These are used as locator calls, is that correct?

Yeah, those are locater calls...you get a shock gobble out of them with these calls, and I guess it basically doesn't take much for them to respond like that in the spring. I haven't had much luck with owl calls, and I've had better luck with the crow call...you never know what will work sometimes.

Wishin I was Fishin

its a locator call that induces a shock gobble.... ive smacked limbs against trees and gotten turkeys to gobble when their wound up like that.

Dudley Do-Wrong

I've heard of all sorts of things producing a shock gobble, slamming a car door, fireworks, one dude told me he would sling a hand full of gravel onto a tin roof. A shock gobble is just that, a SHOCK or sudden surprise which induces a tom to gobble. A crow or owl call is very loud and one or the other is the first sound you usually hear in the morning; plus both are natural sounds in the woods.

NottelyBILL

I agree with David. I have blown the horn, yelled, any sudden load sound

letsgohuntin

Intresting that they are shock calls... I always thought that they must have viewed owls/crows as predators to their young or eggs.Learned something new!

Shotgun Shooter

They will also gobble at a train whistle...near or far.