turkey gun choke question for buckshot

Triton Mike

I have a remington 870 with a screw in turkey choke. Can I change to a improved cylinder choke or?? and be able shoot buck shot for pigs? Not sure if you can even shoot slugs out of it?? I'm not educated enough on this hence the question. I'm tagged out on turkeys but the pigs are calling my name.

On another subject is there a law saying we can't hunt pigs with a rifle during turkey season? Again I'm tagged out on turkeys i Just want to hunt pigs.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I say yes on swapping out chokes , and you can hunt them with whatever you want on private land , year round , night or day

furtaker

Don't shoot slugs out of that turkey choke unless you want to ruin your barrel.

And I would pattern buckshot with different chokes before you go hunting with it. Different chokes and loads make a huge difference.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Buckshot likes open chokes, less deformity and better patterns typically. I would use IC or cylinder. Rifled slugs should be fine also, just read the manual, but definitely swap out the turkey choke

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Be aware that the effective killing range of buckshot will pretty much mirror turkey load effective range (not counting the tungsten super loads). Anything beyond 40-50 yards is iffy.

WOODIE13

earlthegoat2

Bubba Roundtree has done extensive buckshot testing and has found tighter chokes like modified and tighter produce better patterns. Especially with 00.

When I buckshot hunted, I used #1 with a full choke as that is what patterned best.

I too have heard open chokes produce the best results with buckshot. I think that is mostly from the manufacturers literature. Many say the same about foster slugs but Remington back in the day said their slugger slugs shot best from an improved choke.

It’s best to always pattern your shotgun. Always. For turkey loads, buckshot, slugs, ducks, squirrel and everything else.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a remington 870 with a screw in turkey choke. Can I change to a improved cylinder choke or?? and be able shoot buck shot for pigs? Not sure if you can even shoot slugs out of it?? I'm not educated enough on this hence the question. I'm tagged out on turkeys but the pigs are calling my name.

On another subject is there a law saying we can't hunt pigs with a rifle during turkey season? Again I'm tagged out on turkeys i Just want to hunt pigs.
Woohoo! Dang Mike! Post up or send me a PM with them bird pics! I know you like to get your pic taken ::ke: ::ke::ROFLMAO:

If you’re hunting pigs, you can use whatever you want. But With the chokes, the Turkey chokes can be different too. I have a .700 and a .670 and they are both labeled Turkey chokes. I think one says full and the other super full or something like that. But you should not have to switch it out to shoot buckshot.

Great to see you post:rockon:

Triton Mike

I guess i need to be educated. I assume a turkey choke which on my gun is a external choke (makes the barrel longer). I assume in terminology standpoint thats what is called a turkey choke. I believe it's a xfull choke going on memory..
So a full or modified or improved cylinder choke is gonna be a internal choke? I am pretty sure I asked my current choke mfg at the NWTF convention if I could shoot buck shot out of it and he said no.. BUT thats my current turkey choke. I know alot of things about guns but not shot guns.. Can someone put this in layman terms for me LOL

Triton Mike

Woohoo! Dang Mike! Post up or send me a PM with them bird pics! I know you like to get your pic taken ::ke: ::ke::ROFLMAO:

If you’re hunting pigs, you can use whatever you want. But With the chokes, the Turkey chokes can be different too. I have a .700 and a .670 and they are both labeled Turkey chokes. I think one says full and the other super full or something like that. But you should not have to switch it out to shoot buckshot.

Great to see you post:rockon:
hey buddy, How goes it :). yeah I tagged out in my 5 days (3 hunts). Took one of my employees with me on opening day and we called in 3 gobblers and got 2 birds (1 a piece). Then on Monday I called in 2 more and took 1.

Attachments

• turkey1.jpg
    turkey1.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 8
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 8

furtaker

I guess i need to be educated. I assume a turkey choke which on my gun is a external choke (makes the barrel longer). I assume in terminology standpoint thats what is called a turkey choke. I believe it's a xfull choke going on memory..
So a full or modified or improved cylinder choke is gonna be a internal choke? I am pretty sure I asked my current choke mfg at the NWTF convention if I could shoot buck shot out of it and he said no.. BUT thats my current turkey choke. I know alot of things about guns but not shot guns.. Can someone put this in layman terms for me LOL
Most turkey chokes are extended chokes, but not all extended chokes are turkey chokes. It should be printed on the choke somewhere.

WOODIE13

Most turkey chokes are extended chokes, but not all extended chokes are turkey chokes. It should be printed on the choke somewhere.
A lot of waterfowl chokes are extended as well, some are designed to slow the wad down so it doesn't leave holes in your pattern.

I'm just a factory choke guy regardless

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
E1189CB4-91F8-46AC-B249-00E7C173C2DE.jpeg

Here are mine E1189CB4-91F8-46AC-B249-00E7C173C2DE.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
The shiny one fits flush and is the .700

Nice birds Brother! I may need you to call me one in too!