What's the easiest hunt you've ever had?

C

Cane_Creek

2006 opening day I had no bird and the day was ending. It was 5:00 PM and my buddy and I were parked at a gate on the property shooting the breeze. I had hunted all day but hadn't closed the deal. I figure it's over for the day, and just looking forward to tomorrow. He decided to go walking down a logging road and I told him I was just going to hang out at the truck and relax, I had enough for the day.

So I decide to practice on a box call I had but seldom used. I have no mask on, my hat is somewhere, my vest is thrown in the back of the truck, guns unloaded, etc. So I start cranking on this box call just goofing around. Holding it different ways in my hands to get different sounds, cutting and yelping like crazy, applying chalk, etc. We'll I get a gobbler fired up and he starts gobbling but I don't hear him. My buddy down the road a few hundred yards said the bird was going crazy, and I'm up there calling away on this box call, not even knowing this is happening. Well the bird goes past my buddy gobbling the entire time headed to me at the truck. Well after about my 100th series of loud yelps I go to put the box call down and bang I hear him gobble. So I'm scrabbling to gather all my stuff and get a shell in the gun. I have to get away from the truck, but he's coming quick. I dive in the woods about 20 yards from my truck and the bird comes right to me, and I shoot him at 20 yards. My buddy comes running up laughing his butt off. We actually talked about it today on the phone and laughed about it. Funny stuff.

Here's the kamikazee bird that liked it loud
DSCN1553.jpg

HMwolfpup

mine was the second time i ever went turkey hunting. My buddy and I got setup on a spot just before day light. He started calling and we had 4 birds in different directions gobble. The furthest one away started moving toward us, hammering away everytime we made a call. 15 mintues after the first call, I had bagged my first turkey.

Attachments

• 1st turkey with Jody2.JPG
    1st turkey with Jody2.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 163

Jack Flynn

I'd have to say in the early 80's. I had a bird located on a hill exiting a cutover. Of all things a cutover. At daylight he gobbled many times and I sat down in the cutover some 200 yds from him. When he flew down into the hillside I called to him and he came straight to me inside of 5 minutes. Strutting and gobbling all the way. He was so in love with me and got so close I had to yell at him to get him to raise his head and start walking away to be able to kill him.:bounce::bounce:I'll always remember that bird!

Handgunner

In a ground blind on the edge of a field, near a roosting area, he just fell in my lap.

I didn't have to do a thing. Just walked around blindly, found a spot, flung up a blind, grabbed a shotgun, and waited....

A cake walk, so to speak.:rolleyes:

:bounce:

Jody Hawk

Redlands WMA, believe it or not !!!! Went to a spot that we called, "The Pipe". Fifteen minutes after gobbling time I hadn't heard a peep. Grabbed my owl hooter and hit it and one fired back 100 yards up the creek. I just stepped right off the logging road that I was standing in and sat beside a tree there. Gave him a soft yelp or two and he answered. I shut up and waited. A few minutes later, he flew down and walked straight to me. Nice three year old, got him opening week before he'd been hammered too much. I was back in Monroe with him before my daughter left for school.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
I guess the easiest hunt I ever had was my Sons first Gobbler. Opening afternoon, this gobbler had beat us to the field where he was strutting at when I videoed him on the Wednesday before season opened. On Sunday we went to church and I told him we would be sitting at the big oak tree in the middle of the field at 3:00PM. Reluctantly he said ok. We sat down and 30 minutes after we had been sitting there my Son had gotten bored because of not seeing any or hearing any turkeys. I looked 300 yards down the field edge and see a turkey easing around towards us. I tell my son to get ready and he almost lost his patience when this big guy stepped up on the top of a hill in the field and saw the decoys. The gobbler went into a strut and turned sideways facing my Son and I, and started walking sideways towards us. My Son had shot a a Gobbler the year before and had only sprayed him. He was to far away.:banginghe Well this was not going to happen again in his mind. At 30 yards I told my Son to go ahead and take him. At 20 yards I told him to go ahead and shoot this goibbler. When he got to 15 yards, I told my son I was going to shoot the turkey. and I took the safety off on my gun. Well I see my Son moving his gun barrell and there was nothing between the gobbler and us as for as cover. This gobbler was so focused on the jake decoy with the hen decoy that had invaded his field, he did not even pay any attention to my Son moving his gun, following him. At 10 yards, my Son shoots and it looked like a feather pillow being shot at very close range......pooofff feathers fly up in the air. My Son had his first turkey and less than an hour after we had sit down. Now he is hooked.:banginghe Good Luck, Tim

Attachments

• HPIM0628 (424 x 320).jpg
    HPIM0628 (424 x 320).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 148

Gadget

In a ground blind on the edge of a field, near a roosting area, he just fell in my lap.

I didn't have to do a thing. Just walked around blindly, found a spot, flung up a blind, grabbed a shotgun, and waited....

A cake walk, so to speak.:rolleyes:

:bounce:

:rofl::rofl::whip:

My easiest was one day I noticed two longbeards walking down a logging road so I sat down in front of them and they walked right up to me, but it was my calling that really brought them in, if not I'm sure they woulda veered off....:bounce:

Last edited:

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

my easiest hunt was 6 years ago on oconee national forest land.!I got to a ridge well before daylight (a ridge that a bird had gotten by me three days earlier on) stood there until gobbling time,nothing so i pulled out the owl hooter,nothing, stood there a little longer hit the owl hooter again and one gobbled over on the back of a beaver swamp (long ways from where i was at). I hooted again and the same bird gobbled so i started after him got about 200 yards away from where i was and hooted again he gobbled again but so did the bird that i was originally after so i was betwwen both of them about the same distance apart and didn't know which one to go to. I finally decided to go back where i was at because i had that bird get by me a few days before and figured he would go the same way that he did before, when i got back to where i was originally standing it was about fly down time so i just stood there the bird was roosting up on top of a ridge and i was over a crest that had a pretty steep fall so i set down on the edge of the ridge at was facing up toward the top, pulled out the ol reliable slate and clucked twice and purred he gobbled he was already off the roost and heading my way i pointed my gun up the ridge and seen his fan then red head i cut once on the mouth call and he stretched his head out to gobble and boom he was dead, 18 1/2 lbs 10 1/4 inch bird and 3/4 inch spurs. i was back in the truck and headed home with less than 45 minutes of total time that i had been out of the truck.

Arrow3

Here is mine...Cut and pasted from on here....Franklin County birds from 05....The 5 yo came in as easy any jake youve ever saw...:bounce:

25lbs...10 3/4 inch beard ... 1 5/8ths spurs
22lbs...9 1/2 inch beard and no spurs.

I heard the big bird gobble on the roost early...I was setting up on him when another bird gobbled close...I got my decoy up and sat down....I hit the wingbone and the big gobbler cut me off and was on the ground....I yelp to him again and he cut me off agian and he was coming....I looked up and see him in a fast trot....Behind him I see two more gobblers coming..The big bird comes straight down the hill and flys across the creek to me....I was on him when he hit the ground...I busted him and looked to the other two.....One flew toward me and landed 30 yards from me....That was his last breath..

Attachments

• double3.jpg
    double3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 103

Hunter Haven

Long story...sorry:bounce:
My easiest, but it also took a couple of days....
First time ever hunting the property...
Hunted him on day1....at cracking daylight, him and another bird gobbled back and forth with each other atleast 70 times(fired up!!!)and I just knew that this would be a cakewalk listening to them... got settled in on them, didn't want to call too early... they are still hammering each other way after I've set-up on them... fly down time was near and I had been set-up on them about 65 yards for 20+ minutes just enjoying the loud gobblin... I decided to make a tree yelp and then a fly down cackle.... and after doing so, these birds just pitched down(i saw one of them), and they both walked away without saying another peep... I even called and poof they were gone....(I never would have thought this would've happened that morning and still to this day, really don't understand it:huh::huh:) IT WAS OVER!!!!
**2nd day, I had a gameplan.... waiting on bird to gobble, he sounded off near an old homeplace about 400 yards from where I stood.... I took off and got about 125 yards and he busted loose again... I was right, he was roosted right along a creek right at the old home place(only thing still standing was the chimney)... it was still dark so i tip-toed down an old roadway that went to right where he was at. I got about 55 yards of the bird(early season, woods very green)... I put out 3 decoys... 2 hens and 1 jake... backed up about 15 yards and sat down.... he busted out a gooble once more and he was just on the other side of a small creek... I was glad, b/c I knew I wasn't picked off.... I put the 10 guage on my knee.. and waited for daylight... I wasn't gonna make one call and hoped he would just see the decoys.... It worked!!! I suddenly seen this HUGE wingspan coming straight at me(It looked gigantic:bounce::bounce:)... it was like SLOWWWW MOTION.... he starting flapping his wings fast as he approached for landing right beside my dekes... He hit the ground and was finalizing his wing flap.... and BOOM!!!!!!!!! He was DRT!!! He was shot right there at the decoys...15 yards away...(3 & 1/2 " Magnum 10 gauge:bounce:) no call made and he was going home!! Sorry no pic, but he had a 10 1/4 " beard with 1 1/8th inch spurs....
**Sorry for the long story, but he was a HARD, but Easy bird to kill!!!:rofl:

jcarter

Banned
ive had lots of short hunts, 5 to 10 minutes from fly down to smack down. but those involved setting up and calling one in. the easiest was when i was around 18. i had been fishing that morning on westpoint and was to meet my dad, who was hunting the wma, at the old check station for lunch then an afternoon hunt. i parked and unhooked the boat and waited for a while then decided to drive down to where the road was barred. his truck was there so i pulled off and parked. i was sitting on the tailgate a few minutes when i heard one gobble. i got out my gun and started slipping down the road. i walked maybe 75 yards when i hear some yelps followed by a loud gobble. i just eased to the side of the road and hunkered down to listen for the conclusion of this hunt. this was a long flat straight stretch of georgia red clay road with some grass sown along the sides. i could see down about 200 yards or so. i see the turkey step in the road about 75 yards away look around and then cross into the woods on the other side. another ten minutes or so i see my father step into the road further down. as he is starting my way i see the turkey step back in the road. they spot each other the turkey putts and starts running away from my dad up the road. i think he is gonna dodge into the woods on either side but he just stays in that road running. he looked so funny running...he was wobbling from side to side so bad i thought he was gonna tip over. finally he jumps in the air and starts getting some air under him. he is flying straight as a stick down that road. i step out in the road and give him a blast of 2 3/4" inch magnum 4's. he falls literally at my feet dead as 4' oclock. my dad walks up, looks at me then the bird, shakes his head and asks....catch anything ?

Dupree

when i was 14 my dad had dropped me off at a piece of property to hunt for the morning. I had never called in a bird on my own, but had killed 3 the year before (the first time I pulled the trigger on a turkey I killed 2, then shot the 3rd one). I didnt hear anything early in the morning so I headed to a field where we usually saw turkeys later in the day. I was glassing the field and 2 birds gobbled about 100 yards from me. I sat down and threw a mouth call in. I didnt even put on a face mask. I yelped one time, they gobbled and then literally came running to me. They crossed a creek about 6 foot wide and kept on running. I shot the 1st one, then the 2nd one started fighting him, so I shot him too. These are the only 2 birds I have killed on private land, all the other birds have been on wma.

Last edited:

cball917

after a long night around the campfire, really tired. at day break me and a buddy headed to the woods to kill a longbeard. as soon as we shut the door on my truck i heard a bird gobble about 150 yrds away. i started calling but he never would answer me. we started walking up the ridge towards where we heard him. by then i could hear there were at least 3 gobblers and several hens. he answered me one time and thats it. then it all got quiet so we thought they had moved on. i started to walk up to the top of the ridge to see if i could hear where they went. at probably 35 yrds he gobbled and it was so close it made me jump. i guess the sound of me walkin sounded like some more hens. he stepped out at about 10 feet from behind a tree then i layed the ol 3.5 " magnum down on him. i was probably 80 yrds from the truck and we were back to the campsite by 9:30. so we got some fishing in that day 2. this is the mount i done on him. my best bird to date.

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 76

sman

maybe a record...

i don't know what the quickest time ever is but I bet I'm close on this one. I walk 50 yards from my truck on an afternoon hunt. I am talking on my cell to a buddy. I tell him to listen to how sweet my slate sounds. Hit it one time and this gobbler decides to charge me. I had no face mask on and was standing there in the open. The bird didn't stop till he was 20 yards from me. I honestly thought it was a coyote charging the call. I dropped the phone and the turkey in less than 5 seconds.

Randy

My Dad and I struck a gobbler on a Sunday afternoon. He woudl answer every call but obviously had hens wiht him and would not leave them. They finally flew up so we planned to come back the next weekend.

The following saturday morning he gobbled from the limb and we set up on a ridge. The wrong ridge. He walked that ridge all morning and would answer when I called but never woudl leavethe ridge. I tried everything form shutting up to calling through and nothing worked.

The next morning we went in before daylight and set up on his ridge. Luckily we picked the right end. The end he was not on. I had figured he would be closer to the end where the lake/water was and I guessed right. I waited for him to gobble as it got just light and I gave one tree yelp to let him know there was a hen on the other end of the ridge and then I shut up till he flew down. He flew down toward us landed about 40 yards from us and the walked he last few yards without me even calling. Dad shot him at 20 yards and it was so dark about all you could see was his head glowing white in the woods.

Dad and I have talked about how that bird was more fun the first days we hunted him than he was that morning. When you are in the right place at the right time it just happens so easy.

hambone44

walked to the branch, heard him gobble one morn..didnt set up, didnt call, let him do his thing, heard him fly down on other side and walk off gobbling...
next morn, i walk around to other side of the branch and stand by a tree and dont call at all, he gobbles, hens fly down land to my left, its still really dim light, look up, here he comes sailing right to me, he hits the ground 15 yards to my left, I see his beard, BAM! g'night. :yawn: