Rem 870 16 ga Barrels for Turkey

returntoarchery

Hey folks,

I'm just getting started with turkey hunting. For my first year, I'm trying to do it on the cheap until I know it's something I'd like to continue doing.

Since I don't have a useable shotgun at the moment, my father-in-law is loaning me his - Remington 870 16 ga Wingmaster. I'm quite honored in that he bought it new, his first gun, in the early 1950's. He hasn't shot more than a couple boxes out of it.

Here's the dilemma, it has a 26" Imp Cyl barrel. Since it's a 16 gauge, barrels and chokes aren't that easy to find. Remington currently has a 20" Rifle Sight (not rifled) Imp Cyl Rem Choke barrel. I would need to find and buy a full or turkey choke for it. I've also located a 28" full choke barrel but with bead for around the same amount of money.

Other than the rifle sights which would be better for aim and the changeable chokes, would either have an advantage over the other for hunting turkeys?

Thanks

Frank

Last edited:

returntoarchery

my expectations for this year are nothing other than a learning experience with quality time in the woods and to stay out of the way of experienced hunters. If I have a real turkey remotely interested in my calling, then that's a win. Actually killing one, well that's just a dream for now.

JTharpe

it might be a better option for you to buy a 12 or 20 guage gun. I dont know how much the barrels you are looking at run but you can probably find a used shot gun for not much more. I would look for a remington 870.

Nitro

Banned
Go with the Rem choke barrel and buy you a Pure Gold choke

Good advice except -

Pure Gold does not make a 16 gauge Choke tube. Nor does Kick's or CompnChoke. :bounce:

Spend 250 bucks on an 870 Express in 12 ga and then buy the tube of your choosing.

Good Luck.

SHMELTON

Banned
Look around and you can find a 12 or 20ga single shot with a full choke for under a $100.00. These old guns with the full choke barrels throw a pretty good pattern. Then you want have to worry about beating up that 16ga.

returntoarchery

Thanks guys. I pretty much came to the same conclusions that you've all suggested.

The cheapest I've seen for the Rem 20" barrel is $166 and for the 28" Full is $155. The only 16 ga choke I've found is a Precision Hunter Remington 16 Gauge Trulock at $35. So yep I'm getting pretty close a used or new bargain shotgun for that.

Since I live closer to my father-in-law's only grandson that's interested in shooting, I'll save the 16ga for shooting skeet with my nephew. Both Pop and my nephew should be tickled with that and so will I.

Last edited: