help me find public land...

robinsonfam1

I was not lucky enough to draw a quota hunt. I dont have a lease or private land anymore. So now i am looking to go public but where?
i live in Gwinnett and really dont want to drive all day either. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks! :fine:

sdguide

The best advice I can give you to get you started would be to purchase a map of the Oconee National Forest and/or the Chatahoochie National Forest. Several WMAs will be on those maps as well. After that, you'll need a good pair of boots.

robinsonfam1

i was kinda thinking the same, although was kinda hoping for a bit of a headstart from those who have a bit more experience around here.

thanks!
BR

CharrDad

I'll be calling Dawson Forest home this spring. It's fairly close to Gwinnett.

robinsonfam1

im already checking maps for those..thanks everyone.

william shoals...you mean wilson shoals?
i thought it was quota only!?

you say chattahoochee....is there a bit more specific area? i am not aking for the honey hole but saying the hooch is kinda like directing a blind guy into the dark since i dont know the area well. lol....

appreciate it guys!

do you realize what you are asking? When it comes to telling a fellow where to go turkey hunting,if he tells you what county to hunt in thats usually more than most get where im from. When you are lookin at new ground try to get on the ridge tops and start moving,if its a good morning,the wind aint blowing,and you are lucky ,he wont be more than a mile away when you hear him.

robinsonfam1

yeah i do realize what i am asking....like i said im not asking for any sort of an exact spot. example: wilson shoals=2800 acres; dawson forest= about 30,000 acres. so on so forth
thats a good start if you ask me....chattahoochee though....is about 300,000 acres......ummm....thats a bit more hiking than anyone is really up for. i am asking for a bit of clarification on it....

dont flame me for asking since i am new to the area....

robinsonfam1

i had to look it up since i got flamed for being too specific.....
1 mile = 640 acres.
300,000 acres (appx size of huntable WMA terrain in the hooch)
= 468 sq miles of land.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Chattahochee WMA is 36-37,000 acres..........

robinsonfam1

i didnt realize there was only one hooch wma. i was thinking he meant the available hunting areas of the hooch which does equal about 300K

i've always hunted the east side of the mountiains. there are birds all over though. sorry if that is not specific enough but as you can imagine, i've only hunted certain portions of it.

Jody Hawk

Gotta get out there and scout it, all kinds of public land with birds within an hours drive of Gwinnett County. I know one ole boy who wanted me to put him on some public land birds. Places I put the leg work into scouting. I thought if I did, he'd come back with some good places that he'd stumbled upon for me to go get on a bird. Two years later he still hasn't told me any good spots that I don't know about to get on a turkey. :huh:

robinsonfam1

thanks for the help everyone! you have provided me some good info to get scouting with! now....where did i see all those topo maps....hmmm.....i gots huntin crap everywhere right now....