Question about sandy soil and rye

Buckhunter

I realize I have waited to long to do this but that is beside the point now. I am planting small plot of rye in a wooded area that lies beside a creek. In extreme rain (ivan) this area floods and as a result there is a sandy consistancy to the soil. I have not had a ph test done, but was wondering if there is a basic pattern that runs with different types of soil. For example do sandy soils usually require lime/fertilizer/more water/etc. This is a heavily shaded area will this effect things. Are there other types of vegetation that may work better/same. The land I hunt has no fields/open areas that can be planted. Any thoughts suggestions are appreciated. I live in GA if that matters.

Thanks in advance

monroejoe

planting and fert.

You can go ahead and plant the rye if you want to it has been my experience that the deer will just about always pass it up. You would be better off planting winter wheat and oats togeither. You will also need to lime and fert.

gadeerwoman

Oats will NOT do well if you can't cover them....seeds are just too large and they take longer to germinate. Go with wheat, rape, arrowleaf clover with a little rye and a little ryegrass. All will do pretty well in most types soil and with filtered sunlight and little soil disturbance. Long as it doesn't get flooded for more than a day it should do okay. If it has to stay underwater for several days thought you aren't gonna have much luck with anything except maybe japanese millet.