Flat sandy soil plot?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve had this little spot in a food plot/ small orchard for a little over ten years. Sawtooths, chestnuts and Kieffer pear trees growing. I plant oats, wheat, turnips and clovers in it yearly. In the past I’ve harrowed it before planting, but recently I decided to use the No till method for planting and moisture control. I fertilize and lime to try and keep the ph correct. However, the ph swings pretty wildly from year to year. I’m sure this is from the sandy soil leeching nutrients.
In the past I’ve added horse stall cleanings by the ton, small amounts of chicken litter and piles of pecan leaves, it’s still loose sandy soil.
Any suggestions for soil health improvement, or I’m I just plagued with sandy soil?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I’ve had this little spot in a food plot/ small orchard for a little over ten years. Sawtooths, chestnuts and Kieffer pear trees growing. I plant oats, wheat, turnips and clovers in it yearly. In the past I’ve harrowed it before planting, but recently I decided to use the No till method for planting and moisture control. I fertilize and lime to try and keep the ph correct. However, the ph swings pretty wildly from year to year. I’m sure this is from the sandy soil leeching nutrients.
In the past I’ve added horse stall cleanings by the ton, small amounts of chicken litter and piles of pecan leaves, it’s still loose sandy soil.
Any suggestions for soil health improvement, or I’m I just plagued with sandy soil?
People with straight red clay would like to have what you’ve got. Keep putting organic matter there, you can raise stuff there that people dream of. Be prepared to water if possible.

fireman32

People with straight red clay would like to have what you’ve got. Keep putting organic matter there, you can raise stuff there that people dream of. Be prepared to water if possible.
For sure, think I’d rather plow concrete than dry red clay.

doomtrpr_z71

Wild pH swings usually are from the sample and how it was pulled not the soil itself. With where you live, yes it will always be sandy and weathered unless you haul in top soil from else where. But at the same time did you get organic matter checked on the soil sample? You can raise om in sand and it will still look like sand. I do have a jug of phycoterra that you can try that's cracked if you want it.

Ihunt

Just how sandy? What’s it like 6” down? 1’down?

Alfalfa puts down a long tap root. It may work if the ph can be corrected. Otherwise, I would just plant some cereal grains every fall.

Gaswamp

start planting buckwheat. Very good soil builder. Usually sandy soil is bad about keeping potash levels up. Ph shouldnt be as bad a problem but it is best to incorporate lime into the soil by turning it over.

fireman32

It’s not quite beach sand at the top, but it’s loose. It starts to turn a bit grayish yellow about 6-8 inches down. It will grow cereal grains and clover, but definitely not as good a crop as a loamy soil will.
My brother in law planted a small chestnut orchard on the same land as this plot. Top of the field has Tifton sandy loam, bottom of field adjacent to my plot is identical to my plot. Trees were watered and fertilized exactly the same. Top trees were easily double the size and growth rate of the lower trees. Then a beetle came in and allowed a wilt virus to kill the chestnut trees.

fireman32

Grady sandy loam best I can tell

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
It’s not quite beach sand at the top, but it’s loose. It starts to turn a bit grayish yellow about 6-8 inches down. It will grow cereal grains and clover, but definitely not as good a crop as a loamy soil will.
My brother in law planted a small chestnut orchard on the same land as this plot. Top of the field has Tifton sandy loam, bottom of field adjacent to my plot is identical to my plot. Trees were watered and fertilized exactly the same. Top trees were easily double the size and growth rate of the lower trees. Then a beetle came in and allowed a wilt virus to kill the chestnut trees.
Ouch

I've been dealing with a similar soil for the past few years. Don't have any problems with PH, or other nutrients. My CEC is really low. There is no water available for irrigation, and this years drought has wiped out a decent stand of clover. Chicory has made it through so far and the Deer really enjoy it.
All of my trees have done well, but they are a lot of work. I water them twice a week (haul water in large tank). Camp is a hour away, so it's a hour up, 1 1/2 hours to water, and a hour back. (Thank God for a understanding wife) I have three Pears, three Dunstan Chestnuts, 10 Persimmon, three Sawtooth Acorns and a Loquat what a friend gave me, and I didn't have a place to plant.
Oats always do well in the Fall. If you have a drill, use it. With sandy soil, a regular drill seems to work OK if the grass isn't to thick. Chicory has done well, it has a really deep tap root. Clover does fine as long as there is regular rain.