Help/Questions about acidic soil and plots

Bullochcountyhunter

You would be better off spoon feeding smaller amounts of fert over time, vs throwing 1500lb down at once. With low Ph and no organic matter, little will be available for use and you won't have anything to hold on to the nutrients and they will just leach out. Three 400lb/ac feedings would be much better than one 1500lb/ac IMO.

We have started doing this in an effort to build organic matter in the soil and it's been working better than an all at once strategy.
This right here. I worked for 4 years to get my pH and organic material built up. Doing the same now for a new place. Soil sample called for 3k of lime and 600 10-10-10 per acre. I'm feeding it 1k of lime and 200 fert right now. Will do so again in spring and them again next summer and see where I'm at.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Would iron clay peas work? Or would you recommend something else?
they will do or you could plant purple hull peas. If you plant purple hulls, don't expect to get any. The deer will strip them clean about the time you think you may pick a mess of them

doomtrpr_z71

One of the local farm/ag supply places. Been trying to get them out for a month and a half but it’s been too wet until recently and then they have been too busy to get to me. I completely understand but I’ve got to make another plan now. I just got the property in late July so I’ve been pushed for time with everything for this fall but I figured that would be the case and I am in it for the long haul and I’m sure they will be a good resource in the future.

If it's been too wet and they don't have pull spreaders, I'm gonna guess they must run vectors...you better have nice big food plots with nice roads to get to them or I wouldn't hold my breath on them spreading anything, especially lime. I would probably do oats and Austrian winter peas and not worry about fertilizing that much, especially with fertilizer over $700 a ton.

Ihunt

Op,
Just remember we are not farmers. We are food plotters. Those soil test are for farmers to help them maximize their yield. We are just feeding deer.

I would get as much lime out as possible but there is no way I would put out that much fertilizer for a deer. Over half will be wasted anyway with a ph that low.

Plant some forage oats at 100lbs to the acre and toss out 150lbs or so to the acre of whatever fertilizer gives you the best bang for your $$$$. The deer will eat it, be thankful to have it, and will not be any smaller,bigger, higher or lower scoring etc because of your plots.

Save all of that money on fertilizer and find you a drop spreader. In the long run, it will be the best money you can spend as you ROI will be huge compared to putting out pelletized lime.

fatback

I wanted to update everybody who offered their opinions on my food plot situation. I spread 5,200 pounds of lime over about 5 acres of food plots today. Followed that up with 200 lbs of 10-10-10 per acre. Wanted 13-13-13 but the feed store was out. Then spread 50 lbs of rye per acre, 50 lbs of oats per acre and 25 lbs per acre of winter peas. Drug it all in good. Supposed to get a good rain on it tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed for that. There had been a pretty good rain there yesterday so the soul was pretty moist. I really appreciate everybody’s input. I know that this was just the first step in a much longer process to eventually get to where I want to be but ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks again.

UFG8RMIKE

200lb 10-10-10 is a bit light. (Only 100 lbs 19-19-19). It‘ll be fine but make sure to hit it again. I usually go 200 lbs 19-19-19 at planting , then 100lbs each month for the next two months and then call it a day.

How did you end up spreading 5200lb lime?

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to update everybody who offered their opinions on my food plot situation. I spread 5,200 pounds of lime over about 5 acres of food plots today. Followed that up with 200 lbs of 10-10-10 per acre. Wanted 13-13-13 but the feed store was out. Then spread 50 lbs of rye per acre, 50 lbs of oats per acre and 25 lbs per acre of winter peas. Drug it all in good. Supposed to get a good rain on it tomorrow, keeping fingers crossed for that. There had been a pretty good rain there yesterday so the soul was pretty moist. I really appreciate everybody’s input. I know that this was just the first step in a much longer process to eventually get to where I want to be but ya gotta start somewhere. Thanks again.

That’s a good investment and as you said a starting place. Good luck !!!!!

fatback

200lb 10-10-10 is a bit light. (Only 100 lbs 19-19-19). It‘ll be fine but make sure to hit it again. I usually go 200 lbs 19-19-19 at planting , then 100lbs each month for the next two months and then call it a day.

How did you end up spreading 5200lb lime?
130 bags through my spreader on my tractor. Made for a long day.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
130 bags through my spreader on my tractor. Made for a long day.

Welcome to the addictive world of food plotting!! :) You have started and that is 1/2 the battle. Please follow up with pictures!