Drop Gun Buck

Coach Reynolds

Well, if you can't figure out what happened when I saw this buck, let me "splain" it to you. My latter stand has a shooting rail and no arm rest. I have my .270 leaning on the rail, like I always do. I hear something behind me, I turn and look to see this deer walking the edge of a creek (other property). I get my grunt call, hit it once. He turns to come down the creek bank. I turn to watch him to make sure he is coming my way. Then....I feel something slide....I turn back and try to grab my gun as it falls to my right. In slow motion it falls to the ground only to scare of this buck. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe But wait it gets better..... He turns and runs off but a second buck comes out the same way the first one did. The second buck does cross the creek and while he is down in the creek it gives me the cover to go down and grab my gun. I can hear him walking behind me in the woods.........but never see him. :smash:

Attachments

• drop gun buck.jpg
    drop gun buck.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,025

01Foreman400

Staff member
Good thing about it is he will be even bigger this year. Thanks for sharing. He's a good one.

Handgunner

I would be puking.. :bounce:

Like Foreman said, the good news is, he'll be even bigger this year!

clearview

I learned the hard way myself. The lesson I learned: Never Lean your Gun on Something.
I was hunting on the ground. I leaned my gun up against the tree. I bumped it and my gun fell over and hit a big root coming from the tree. The gun was turned when it fell and fell right on the scope. :banginghe:banginghe Picked up my gun and put it on my lap. Ate an apple. When I finished I looked out in front of me by about 60 to 70 yds., there was a real nice 8 pointer walking. I raised me gun and shot but didn't hit it. I looked and looked to make sure. I got back to my truck and tried to shoot a coke can at 5yds and couldn't hit it. I went to the gun range later and tried to shoot a target at 10yds., I was hitting about 6" to the right and about 5" low, that close. At 60 yds I don't know where it would have been hitting. I tried resigthing the scope and could not move the cross hairs. It was a cheap scope and the fall destroyed it. Lesson learned the hard way.

Last edited:

Meriwether_Stalker22

A friend of mine did the same thing........except it was a borrowed Weatherby and broke the stock in half.......ouch......! Better to hold them and stay focused.....that's why we call it huntin' and not shootin':rofl::rofl::rofl: Experience is a tough teacher.

widowmaker1

the moral of the story is you should be very thankful that you are still with us today. that could have been bad--very bad.