The Most Amazing Thing I've Ever Heard (Pics Added)

SGADawg

Went by myself this morning to my farm where I have never heard a gobble but have seen a gobbler early in the season (I wasn't hunting). Had a hen fly off the roost about 50 yards behind me at about 7 am and go the other way.

At 7:40 a gobbler sounded off about 75 yards away on a woods road just across the property line. I gave a couple of soft clucks and he came right back with another gobble. I clucked and purred a few times so he could pinpoint me. From then until 9 am he strutted in the road back and forth forth gobbling 2 to 5 times a minute. I would purr or yelp about once every 15 minutes. He gobbled at least 200 times in an hour and a half!! He began to taper off after that. At 9:15 he hushed. I thought "he's either coming in or leaving". 5 minutes later he had gone the long way around a small flat pond and came in on my right. Of course I was out of position:banginghe. When he saw the hen decoy, he started to go into a strut but then flattened back out. No doubt he smelled a rat. He trotted by the decoy out in front of me and then stopped about 25 yards out. A load of #5's ended the story. 11 1/2" beard that looked thick as a paint brush, 1" spurs and 20 lbs.

My biggest bird of 4 I have killed since I started turkey hunting 3 years ago (my second this year, the other was my biggest), killed on my own place, and at least twice as many gobbles this morning as I had heard before altogether in 3 years.:banana::banana:

Pictures to come later, got company now.

I now have 2 in one year for the first time and will be bowhunting for the next couple of weeks. If I have no luck, I may pull the shotgun back out for the last week.

Man, I am pumped. Sorry for the long post but I had to tell somebody the story or bust. The wife is tired of hearing it.:bounce:

Attachments

• Gobbler 4181.jpg
    Gobbler 4181.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 102 (924 x 702).jpg
    102 (924 x 702).jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 525
  • 103 (924 x 702).jpg
    103 (924 x 702).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

turk2di

Thats half the fun of killin a gobbler, tellin & retellin the story ad nauseum! Fine story & congrats on a fine bird!

Arrow3

Sounds like a heck of a hunt!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
gotta love a bird that just wont shut up...and comes to the call!

congrats bro

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great hunting story!!! Congrats on a great bird as well!!!! Like JT said" Love a bird that just won't shut up". Congrats again, Tim

sman

200 times, man that would be something to hear. I would have had to shoot him before he gave me a headache. Congrats!

wooly

Great hunt and congrats to you. I can't wait to get on a good gobbling bird as they have alluded me this season so far.:)

huntmstr

Banned
Nice brush! Great hunt. Thanks for the tale.