Is it just me or is the quality of gas getting worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray97303

I bought unleaded gas a few times this year for my mowers, weed eater, and tiller. Most of time nothing wants to run right! I recently took a mower to the shop to get it looked at, because it didn't want to run! The person that owned the shop tested the gas. He tried to see how it burned. He stated it burned slow like a kerosene or a diesel! I know it was from a unleaded pump! Maybe it would be better to go with a higher grade of gas! But paying 4 dollars a gallon sucks! But I could be paying a lot worse! Like Britian $8.00 to $9.00 a gallon!

dixie

I think your right, this stuff today doesn't even smell like gas, it smells more like varnish than gas, maybe hotter plugs? I'm having the same problems

Joe r

unleaded reg. burn's the hotest of all gas, at the lowest temp.the higher grade gas has more oil in it.
or thats what ford motor co. told me

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
You can thank Ethanol for your problems.

Snakeman

Yes, beware of the ethanol-laced fuel. My truck gets 2-3 mpg LESS on gas that has ethanol in it than gas without ethanol.

I would suspect that small engines may have difficulty with the ethanol as well.

The Snakeman

polaris30144

I think your right, this stuff today doesn't even smell like gas, it smells more like varnish than gas, maybe hotter plugs? I'm having the same problems

Probably old gas being stored off shore by oil companies waiting for prices to go up......that's what was happening in 1974. The oil companies stored gas on barges to create a shortage, then brought it on shore to sell it at higher prices. They know how to manipulate supply and demand, contrary to what the oil company supporters will tell you on here.

According to my small engine man, who is pretty on top of things, the "gas" itself is the same. What's different is the additives that gas used to have in it to make it stable. Gasoline itself is pretty volatile and needs additives to keep it from degrading.

Thus the need for products such as Stabil

What he says is supported by the notices he has all over the shop talking about how to protect your carburetor from the "new" gas.

acurasquirrel

I know here in Hawaii you cant get anything except E10 which caused a 3-5 mpg loss in my Tacoma.

mello_collins

Sunoco is still selling gas with out 10% alcohol here. It does make a diff in my boat and trimmers. Try to find a station without the alcohol mix and try it.

specialk

watch the pumps too, sometimes the pump says you bought 10 gallons, when all you got was 9..........know how much your tank holds and watch how much the pump says you got.......

Redbow

I am not sure about the quality of gasoline but I heard on the news last night that in two years or less we will all be paying $7.00 per gallon for it!

It seems the USA wants to go the way of the rest of the free world and raise gas prices up to the levels of England and other nations!

yeah I know, its all about the demand for crude oil, never could there be anything such as price gouging!

Darcy

which gas stations sell the ethanol mix ... and which dont?

i'm getting significantly less mpg than i should be, and usually fill up at a BP station

Jim Baker

Staff member

i'm getting significantly less mpg than i should be, and usually fill up at a BP station

There should be a sign on the dispenser, but pretty much all gasoline has a percentage of ethanol and has for years.

boneboy96

it'll be labeled on the pump 10% Ethenol

UPHUNTER

Banned

all gas has Ethanol in it now, they are using it to replace the mtbe's " Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether" which is a major contributor to cancer . They have been using it for the last 2 years,funny when they start putting a tag on the pump peoples millage goes down,by that logic flames or racing strips really do make you go faster :rolleyes:

Darcy

all gas has Ethanol in it now, they are using it to replace the mtbe's " Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether" which is a major contributor to cancer . They have been using it for the last 2 years,funny when they start putting a tag on the pump peoples millage goes down,by that logic flames or racing strips really do make you go faster :rolleyes:

hey i just got a new vehicle and its supposed to be doing better than it is -- just lookin for a reason i guess.

(if you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all :D )

Jim Baker

Staff member

Atually ethanol has been in gasoline longer that 2 years just in less quanity, if you have gone from 5% to 10% ethanol blend a negliable difference in mileage could could be experienced.

Ethanol is 30% less efficient as a fuel compared to gasoline. Depending on the application could make an actuall difference as compare to racing stripes or flame paint job.:biggrin2:

crackerdave

I bought unleaded gas a few times this year for my mowers, weed eater, and tiller. Most of time nothing wants to run right! I recently took a mower to the shop to get it looked at, because it didn't want to run! The person that owned the shop tested the gas. He tried to see how it burned. He stated it burned slow like a kerosene or a diesel! I know it was from a unleaded pump! Maybe it would be better to go with a higher grade of gas! But paying 4 dollars a gallon sucks! But I could be paying a lot worse! Like Britian $8.00 to $9.00 a gallon!

I agree with you,Ray.I guess it's like just about everything else: The quality keeps going down,while the price goes up!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.