Last Minute Help

Im heading out to Ocmulgee tomorrow and wendsday morning trying to find a bird. So far this season I have struck out but I found an area out there with several dust bowls, tracks and wing drag marks, I plann on getting out there around 5:30 and set up alittle ways away and hope I can call one in. This is my firs year hunting turkeys and I'm realy GREEN. If anyone has ANY advice for me please feel free to give it to me because Im lost . I havent even heard a bird in several weeks. I'll be using a blind and 2 hens and a jake decoy. Should I put the jake out or just the hens. Any advice would be much appreciated. :banginghe

turk2di

Don't overcall. Not sure which 5 thirty( am, pm) you mean tho. Simply keep your chin up & pay attention. Be quite a bummer to be busted cause u ain't ready. With drag marks & such, there's one around. Right now the mating fires are dimming, so give a bird time. Good luck.

Its 5:30 AM thet Im heading out and I realy hope I at least hear one that will be a plus for me I can't even remember what one sounds like. Ive given everything I have and I aint givin up untill the end. I'mhooked now and there aint no gettin out of it. Ive heard of many people who hunt for years before they get there first so Im not going to get discoraged. This is year 1 and next year will be another season, so Ill take it day by day. I really enjoy just getting out of the house so even if I dont score it was a success for me.

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Dudley Do-Wrong

I went to Ocmulgee (area 1) the other day and saw almost no sign at all. I've never hunted there so I was sorta lost. I agree with turk2di, just be patient if you feel like there are birds in the area. Not the most fun way of hunting them, but waiting them out with light calling sometimes work.

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

I been putting out just 1 hen in the sitting position lately but that hasn't worked ,YET. Take a snack, or lunch, & a comfortable cushion. Good Luck!

David it is area1 that I found the dust bowls and the drag marks in Ill post tomorrow and let you know what I find. I plann on hunting as long as my friend will stay, but he has to work tomorrow, he is off on wendsday so hopefully he will want to stay all day or at least untill we see some. I'm running out of time this year to get my first turkey.

whitetaco02

Don't put so much pressure on yourself if you don't get one this year. Chalk it up as experience learned and it will only make you better for next year.:)

Dudley Do-Wrong

Riverrat, I plan on doing some scouting in Oaky Woods during the week. If I find anything promising, I will be going there this weekend. You are welcome to go if you want.

The only area I had time to scout at Ocmulgee was the gate on the left before you get to the "seed farm", I walked almost a mile, past a couple of "turkey habitat" areas. I kinda wanted to go down the road directly across a church, according to the map it looked like it went all the way to a creek.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out.

tbgator

Banned
Put your hen deke out there and gobble your fool head off. Ya never know what may show to investigate. Oh, I forgot, you're hunting public land. Might not be a good idea:bounce:

Went out this morning and didnt see anything untill we headed back to the truck and there were turkey tracks in our footprints. We sat there all morning and never heard a thing but the birds walked down the road just a couple of hundred yards away from us.
Im probably going to head back out there this afternoon and sit in a blind and see if they come back by, or hopefully I can catch them roosting and get on them in the morning. I've finally found some birds now I gotta figure out what to do with them.

No luck this afternoon I did hear some hens late this evening and 1 gobble just before dark. Im heading back first thing in the morning and try it again.

Big7

The Oracle
late season

Public land birds prob. know what a blind is.
Try to find a ditch and cut some cover with a Gerber snip.
Light calling, low yelps and purrs. (very light). Maybe a crow now and then for a locator.
They got the public land figured out by this time of year.

Didn't get to go late this season, but worked for me last year.
I may try to go before the 15th. Private land though.

Good luck!

Well struck out again , but I did hear 1 gobble this morning around 7 and what sounded like some flying down but they didnt come my way. I did use a blind lastnight and this morning, it feels so much better to be able to sit in a chair and move around a little. The gobble was off to the south of me a couple hundred yards and the fly down was directly in front of me a hundred yards or so . I tried some light calling but I thing they have heard enough this year that they know Im not a turkey no matter what my kids say. I'll try again in the morning and see what happend, I think I'll move closer to where I heard them fly downand hope they come my way. Tomorrow will probably end the season for me but it has been fun and Ive learned alot that I hope will help me next season, and I did find some nice lookin areas for deer season.