Fresh burn

Taco4x4

I went out Saturday morning to scout some public land I found a few birds on last year and to my surprise all the prime area had been freshly burned. I know this is good for the habitat of the Turkey and promotes new growth which brings insects that the turkeys will feed on. Also for the next few years it will be prime nesting area because the hens can see longer distance and less likely to become victim to predators.

My question is how long after a burn will they return to that area. I saw zero tracks in the fire break that last year was full of dust bolls, tracks and strutting drag marks. We still have a few weeks do you think with some rain it might green up by then and bring them back. Thanks

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

I agree with all the above. I killed a bird years ago on a WMA in an area that was still smoking! They love fresh burns

Dupree

I spotted a group of birds in a spot preseason scouting in Alabama several years ago. Came back to listen the next day and heard several, but as I was leaving, the forestry unit pulled up and told me they were about to burn it. I went back into that are a week later when the season opened and the birds were there just like they were before it was burned. D7ECE2BB-3CCB-4994-BCAC-234E73B51DCE.png

Dupree

This area still had stumps smoking when I killed this bird. I was leaving “clean” foot steps in the charred litter on the ground waking around in it. I’m assuming they burned 2 days prior to me hunting the area. 3A527CAA-85FB-4667-934A-2477D2B5E3ED.png

buckpasser

I’ve watched them chasing the escaping grass hoppers on burns more than once. Zero fear except for the human presence normally associated.

Long Cut

They love the dead bugs & snakes following a burn is my guess.
Either way, I wouldn’t view it as a bad thing.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team