Trash around lease

SADDADDY

does anyone have the same problem I have around my lease Trash :huh:

We spend an entire weekend picking up garbage all around our lease along the roads from all the locals using it as a trash dump, it's crazy I can walk not even a 1000' down one side of the road picking up beer and soda cans, BK and McDonald's bags, walmart bags full of car trash, cups, candy wrappers you name it we picked it up, chairs, tables, tires whatever flys out in the ditch :eek: heck we had to haul off a dead cow someone dumped on our property

it is so nasty at times I often wonder if the locals ever take out the garbage but rather wing it out the window and when the county mows the grass they just run over what they can making it look so bad.. :banginghe

TJay

We have the exact same problem. There is a gravel road that runs thru the middle of our lease and the locals use it for their own trash dump. They know we'll turn 'em in so when they see us coming they hi-tail it.

Jody Hawk

Same problem on our lease too. In fact, we are having a clean up day this Saturday. The landowners want the mess cleaned up before we renew our lease. There's some old carpet that somebody threw out on the side of the road. Also an old skidder tire that the loggers left a few years ago. We had nothing to do with it being there but they expect us to clean it up.

SADDADDY

Yeah we are responsible

as well for all the garbage, we have at least 3-4 trash clean up day thru the year, but the bad thing is most often the week after you pick it up it looks about the same as before, it's a loosing battle

of course our lease owner makes the comment every year about the amout of trash and that we need to clean it up or they will charge us to have someone come out and do it...

I am about ready to hire a road crew to come out once a month and clean up along the roads,

our biggest problem is we have roads on 3 sides of our lease and it is tough to keep it clean, especially around the stop signs, one feller was kind enough to leave a truck load of shingle and roofing debris right there next to the sign

My question would be does Georgia have many land fills? I have yet to see one or even hear about one??

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Theres plenty of landfills in GA, though they charge and some folks are just to cheap to use them...I hate seeing all the trash on the roads. We had a huge problem with it on our land in Heard County. We had old trucks, boats, refrigerators, washers, dryers and you name it dumped on our property.

Buford_Dawg

Yes, same here

Our main dirt road is a dumping ground for the local community. You name it, it is dumped regularly on the side of the road on our lease.

Larry Rooks

My problem is the dang tresspassing 4W's :banginghe I have talked to them and talked to them but they keep right on tresspassing and running thru food plots, even got caught on two cameras and then stole the dang cameras :banginghe Guess I am going to have to handle it my way now and ruin some 4W's

SADDADDY

Yeah we ran a few of them out, we had one drive right past camp with a full load of yard debris in the back of the pick-up, he told us that he thought it was his buddy's palce and gave him the okay to dump it where ever :banginghe

I had to run off a few guys in the middle of deer season cutting fire wood on our place, after they had left I found where they had backed the truck up into the woods and dumped abunch of car parts and oil buckets

I guess people really don't seem to care anymore :huh:

billy336

I always look forward to going to our lease. When you live in south FL, people and concrete dominant what you see everyday. So getting in the woods is great until you stumble on some local jacka$$'s dump pile. Couches, tires, household garbage, you name it, we have it too. I make my living in the waste industry and I have looked into local dumping facilities. They are open 7 days a week, charge a very minimal price (compared to home), and are easy to access. No driving into a landfill, getting flat tires, or any of that. ****es me off is what it does. Such a shame that some po' white trash from Berrien Co. will do to some really pretty woods.

MoeBirds

SADDADDY said:
I guess people really don't seem to care anymore :huh:

Some certainly, but not all.
You, me, the rest of us here at Woody's, we certainly don't do it!!!
It's the few bad apples that spoil it for the rest :banginghe .
Though sometimes it can seem were out numbered, the majority of us are good :flag: !!

A possible solution: Find out who the local County Commisioner is and send them a letter. If it's a small town they likely won't have email. Let him know your problem. Even though you're a non-resident it shouldn't matter. I have dinner with my Co. Com. every couple weeks, since meeting him on a hunt sometime back when I first moved to GA. from FL. I mentioned how my area was filled with garbage. Well it wasn't long before a band of prisoners were out there and the place looked respectable again.
They're out there once every two months now! I never would've expected such a response anywhere else I've lived over the years. :D

It's worth a try !?

scshep2002

Banned
Prisoners cleanin private property?

Wouldnt that be a bit illegal or something to use prisoners on your priate proeprty to clean it up?? Just curious as I am not sure?? :smash: :pop:

MoeBirds

scshep2002 said:
Wouldnt that be a bit illegal or something to use prisoners on your priate proeprty to clean it up?? Just curious as I am not sure?? :smash: :pop:

:type: I was refering to SADDADDY's situation. From the way I read his post; it appears there are three roads surrounding it !? I assumed (perhaps wrongly :huh: ) these were county-roads(since there was mention of a stop-sign/public use)!? If so, then prisoners could be used to clean up the garbage.If not,(and they're PRIVATE) you're probably correct in-that it would be "illegal"?!
My own situation mentioned, is similar in-that the areas I was having problems with were county property (bordering my own) and has since been handled accordingly by the commisioner :D .

Last edited:

SADDADDY

Greg

yes that would be correct, the property is surrounded by County maintained (a word used lightly) roads.

It might be a possibility to contact someone to maybe have a crew come out once a month, heck if anything those feller's can get some sunshine for a change and get some fresh air.

thanks for the suggestion :flag:

Swamprat

Swamprat
We had trash around the lease but eventually we got them evicted.......... :bounce:

No, it does suck to have any public roads around you lease turn into a dumping ground. I am always thrilled at the aroma of a deer carcass as I am opening a gate. I will try to get it away from public view so it will not give our club members a bad reputation. Just sad that these so called hunters have no respect for the enviroment they are wanting to keep and enjoy.

Sandman619

Yes it happen alot, someone dumped a whole freezer that I guess had quit working and was full of meat and stuff, talk about stank!

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
You'll get a chuckle out of this one. We have a property that is down a dead end road. A lot of the locals seem to use our gate for "very private parties". The evidence left included bottles, clothing, contraceptives and whatever else. My wife (and I) thought it was rather disgusting. Got there one morning at 5 am and there was a car in the gate entrance, they took off, I followed them, got the plate number, got a ppolice friend to run the numbers and turns out she lives two blocks away. Hmmmmmmm, later went to local Macdonalds and noted the same plate parked in the employee section. Anyways we heard that the local power company will install a street light on your pole for 7 bucks a month. We did it, the traffic and trash stopped and every time we go in or out at night my wife comments how much nicer it is, LOL. Seriosly though we have had zero trash since the light went up.

Meriwether Mike

Milton and I were driving over to look at a hunting area on our lease last year and saw a truck with an appliance in the back pass in the opposite direction and then start slowing down behind us. We went to the next turn around and then headed back because we were sure he was about to dump it. Sure enough the truck was stopped and the old fella was out and behind the truck. When we pulled up and started a conversation it turned out he was looking for old dumped appliances. He was turning them in for scrap and using the money to help feed the poor overseas. We helped him load a freezer on the spot and gave him directions to several others appliances that the locals had shared with us. He retrieved several of the others. The locals are always sharing the trash from their roof tear offs or porch renovations with us. Several good camp tables have been recovered from their trash drop offs.