Money Orders on Ebay

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Specificly accepting Postal Money Orders are they safe, I have read about "fake" money orders being a problem ???

Will The post office verify one if you take it to them??

davidhelmly

I,m not sure about money orders. If you are buying something on ebay and they don't accept paypal I would be very hesitant! If you are selling paypal is the easiest in my opinion. I do several hundreds of transactions through paypal every year and have never had a problem. :huh:

ClintW

yes,
Take it to the post office! If they can't tell no one can.
Thats what I've been told anyway. A friend of mine works at a bank thats right beside the post office. He said that when he is unsure about one that he will take it to the post office to make sure its real.
Some fake money orders are easy to spot.

Some mexicans try to counterfeit money orders and miss spell words etc..

Doyle

If you take it to the post office to cash and don't ship until it clears the post office, then you are protected.

If you are buying something on ebay and they don't accept paypal I would be very hesitant!

I sell a fair amount on Ebay, and I don't accept PayPal, and I do accept post office money orders. While there is a real problem with fake certified checks and money orders, paying a little attention can avoid any problems. First, on bank checks, your bank can determine if a check is valid by contacting the issuing bank. If someone tells you they can't do it, go up the line until you find someone who knows what they are doing.

On postal money orders, there really hasn't been a problem with fake ones of those because in addition to the usual police authorities, the postal inspectors get involved and they have national jurisdiction. You can cash a postal money order at a post office. The major exception to this is if the MO is for more money than the PO has on hand. They are not a bank, and have no obligation to have sufficient money on hand.

Even if the MO is too large for the PO to cash they can verify it.