93 Mauser question

ditchdoc24

So I've been wanting to add a 7x57 Mauser rifle to my collection of deer rifles and finally managed to find one at a reasonable price in a pawn shop. The first thing I did was to order a set of "Go" and "No-Go" gauges for the gun which arrived today. I inserted the Go gauge and the bolt closed with no problem. Then I inserted the No-Go gauge and the bolt also closed which (I believe) indicates a problem with the headspace.

The question is what is my next step? Do I need to have a gunsmith look at the gun to see what needs to be done? Thanks in advance for the help.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
So I've been wanting to add a 7x57 Mauser rifle to my collection of deer rifles and finally managed to find one at a reasonable price in a pawn shop. The first thing I did was to order a set of "Go" and "No-Go" gauges for the gun which arrived today. I inserted the Go gauge and the bolt closed with no problem. Then I inserted the No-Go gauge and the bolt also closed which (I believe) indicates a problem with the headspace.

The question is what is my next step? Do I need to have a gunsmith look at the gun to see what needs to be done? Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the barrel will have to set back, and then the chamber reamed for the correct head space. Not a terribly difficult job, but it won't be a $50 job either.

Reactions: Dub

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If the gun will pass a field gauge test, it is safe to shoot. Order one of those.
yep, a gun can close on a NO-GO and still be within max chamber length spec. A NO-GO is the max for a new barrel installation, not max serviceable length.

ditchdoc24

Alright, I'm feeling better now. The field gauge arrived today and the bolt would not close with the field gauge in the chamber. I guess the next step is to shoot it and see how it does?

rosewood

If you load your own, just fire them originally and then neck size or just bump shoulder back enough so the bolts closes on a resized case. Then headspace isn't an issue.

Rosewood

ditchdoc24

Okay, Decision time. I took the rifle to the range yesterday and shot it at 50 yards. I got about 8-10 inches of spread at 50 yards with iron sights and could not get the rifle to group. I'm thinking the barrel is toast and the rifle would need to be rebarreled. Since it's an 1893 Mauser with no matching numbers, I'm not thinking it's going to be worth it to sink any money into this thing.

Bobby Bigtime

Okay, Decision time. I took the rifle to the range yesterday and shot it at 50 yards. I got about 8-10 inches of spread at 50 yards with iron sights and could not get the rifle to group. I'm thinking the barrel is toast and the rifle would need to be rebarreled. Since it's an 1893 Mauser with no matching numbers, I'm not thinking it's going to be worth it to sink any money into this thing.
Numrich has barrels for 55.37. I just checked

rosewood

That is about what mine was doing. I converted it to 6.5x55

Liberty

I love claw extractors, but being able to walk into a gun shop and leave with a nice feeling moa rifle for $700 or decent shooting Tupperware for $350 really changes the equation on rebarreling an awful lot of actions that aren’t in nice walnut or fiberglass for me. Wall hangers have their place.

earlthegoat2

First of all, clean the ever living snot out of that gun with every chemical and technique you know.

Dirty guns have been many a cause for a red herring of an inaccuracy problem.

I love claw extractors, but being able to walk into a gun shop and leave with a nice feeling moa rifle for $700 or decent shooting Tupperware for $350 really changes the equation on rebarreling an awful lot of actions that aren’t in nice walnut or fiberglass for me. Wall hangers have their place.

I tend to think this way too. As much panache as milsurps have, I just won’t get them as hunting rifles when a Savage Axis exists for less than $350 OTD at any major firearms retailer. A few bucks more for a Ruger American.

rosewood

Even if it won't shoot, someone will want it. There will be someone out there that can rebarrel themself and will see it as a project gun.

Rosewood

GunnSmokeer

It probably has a few hundred dollars in value just as a shootable wall hanger-- one that you look at and admire hanging above the fireplace mantle 364 days each year, but if you want to take it out to the backyard on July 4th and blast an empty paint can filled with creek water from 25 yards away , the gun will do that and give you a satisfying geyser of water.