Camera Bag?

bristol_bound

Thanks to all for the help and great input as well as support you've offered in get me started in the Digital SLR world. I truly appreciate it.
I think I have settled on a Camera & a couple of lenses to start with. Next is accessories, I have read the post on recommendations, choosing a tripod. Man I had no idea it would be as involved as choosing a camera. I think I just need to put my hands on a few and try them out. But any advice would be welcome.
I only found one post regarding Camera bags and it was in reference to flying. I would like to ask you guys what y'all are using for bags? Brands, types, pros. & cons. of different styles and any recommendations. Pictures are always helpful for us visual folks.
Thanks again for all the help.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i will check and see if i can find the post, i bought the tamrac adventure 9 and really like it a lot. i carry most of my gear every where i go and i have room in this bag. it feels secure to me too, better than a normal backpack!!!

rip18

Where to start?

For a long time, I used an old SunDog camera fanny pack. They don't make one that is as well padded anymore unfortunately. I put a couple of Tamrac lens pouches and a LowePro film container on the belt as well.

Now I carry four camera bags in the truck a lot: one is a big padded, waterproof "guide's" waterfowl bag, another is a LowePro SuperTrekker that contains an assortment of lenses, a spare body, & all my "supplies", another is a LowePro fanny pack that I keep a body & lens, and a few Tamrac lens bags on, and the last is a big special Domke padded bag for my biggest lens.

I've also got a couple of padded cases for tripods that I seldom use. I've got Pelican cases for working around water. I've got a couple of smaller bags that I use for one reason or another.

I also carry some gear in my truck in my photo vest (by Vested Interest). It is pretty handy - when I load it for a "normal" trip, it weighs right at 25 pounds (plus the tripod and big lens...).

My wife has a little padded waterfowl bag and a newer SunDog photo fanny pack that she carries her gear in.

Which one do I like best? It depends on how much gear I need to carry and under what kind of conditions I need to work in...

There are a bunch of different options for different amounts of gear and different circumstances.

I'd say it would be hard to go wrong with LowePro, Kinesis, Domke, Think Tank, or Tamrac. Whether it is a shoulder bag, sling/messenger bag, fanny pack, back pack, etc. depends on your gear and your preferences... A waterfowl hunting bag can work well (and I know a couple of folks that use diaper bags...).

In some cases, I remove most of those pads that come with the bag and wrap my gear in the little wool (or whatever) stocking caps. I pick up 5 or 6 every year in the spring when they are really cheap. I also use the little neoprene drink coozies for some smaller lenses/card cases/etc. The stocking caps have come in REAL handy on some trips (both for full face camo and to stay warm!). I had 5 or 6 folks borrow a stocking cap on a trip up into the mountains in Colorado (luckily I double bag some gear in the caps...).

Anyway, that is my nickel's worth...

bristol_bound

Thanks for all the input. I guess I should have said I have a old Pelican Case from my 35mm stuff, I ordered a new insert for it and plan to use it as a transportation/storage case. I am looking for a shoulder or backpack type bag. Something Carry to and form deer-stand or blinds and on day hikes.
Thanks Mr. rip for your "nickel's worth", I've not gotten that much for a nickel in a long time, and I appreciate it very much.
Thanks

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
bristol, i guess i wasn't thinkin' all the way through !!! i have pelican cases for tough travel and canoe type trips but my gear 99% of the time is in the tamrac. mine has room in the top for big momma and the flash and big momma sits in a foam cradle i made for it . my "bush bag" ,if that is the best thing to call it ,is the one i carry on trecks and to air shows . it is a large field line fanny pack that i put my lenses inside in their lowepro padded cases. i usually have the camera on my straps so it is not in the pack. i use the crooked river bino straps and love them. it keeps the weight off my neck and with a 4 pound monster like big momma that means a lot !!! i doubt i will ever be able to convince my bride to get me a 400 or 600 prime like rips but if i ever do, i will have to reconfigure my packs!!! for now , i will just have an uncontrollable lust for rip's lenses !!!

bristol_bound

Thanks to all for the responses, I appreciate it. I have been checking out some of the recommendations, the KATA looks like a good bag and a great deal, I like the tamrac adventure 9 (camo is cool) and the adv. 10 has plenty of room for for extras.
I need to make some time and go to a retailer and get hands on with gear in toe.
Until then I think I will follow Rip18's example. I have a semi-padded some what water repellent back pack I can use and just wrap things up and add some additional padding to.
Thanks again for all the help, I know I am asking some basic and probably very tired questions and I truly appreciate yalls patients.
Thanks

rip18

Keep asking, that is how we all learn. Seeing how a bunch of people do things means we all learn something!

Razorback

bb,

I'll throw my nickel in the hunt too...rip covered lots of the elements involved in selecting a bag and I wanted to add some more too it.

There are sling bags also...kinda of a cross between a back pack & shoulder bag...some find them pretty useful. Lowe Pro, Tamrac Mountain Smith & others make several sizes & styles. These use one large padded shoulder strap & a wimpy waist belt & allow you to shoulder a sizable load & swing the bag around in front for access to the bag. Also consider Mountain Smith bags too. Like Lowe Pro they got their start w/ backpacker's.

Consider some bags have a built in rain cover...VERY USEFUL for RED CLAY DUST ( I found this out while shooting a race at Road Atlanta-I was downwind of turn 3 & every time a car went off course they kicked up a ton of red clay dust...this brings up another tip stash TWO kitchen trash bags in your camera bag,1 for the camera & 1 for you).

If you haven't picked a bag yet, grab all your gear & hit the local stores (be willing to make a road trip if necessary). A good store will allow you to TEST FIT your stuff in their bag & shoulder the bag to get a feel for how it totes.

You'll find out that no one bags works for every situation.

Razor
Domke F6 & F2
Tamrac retired 608 & 610
Lowe Pro Street & Field 300, Stealth 400, big lens pouch, utility pouch, phone pouch, retired film drop bag, wide belt system
Mountain Smith back pack, LARGE fanny pack
misc non camera stuff in bag of choice...
Optech rain cover-new to me can't be beat $8 for 2 rain covers
gaffer tape wrapped around a sharpie,
red & blue ink pens
business cards
aspirin, advil, tums, band aids
2 kitchen trash bags
wet naps
rubber bands of different sizes
safety pins, needle & white & black thread, small stapler...if I'm second camera at a wedding

Razorback

bb,

just re-read your last post & saw the Kata name-great well made bag with a BIG plus in my book. Their interior is bright yellow. This means you can find those lost black eye cups or lens caps & other misc. stuff. Bags w/ black interiors are a pain when searching for lost gear.
R