How do you tote your ATV

• Utility Trailer

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Pickup Bed

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeshoffstall

do you currently use a utility trailer or the bed of your pickup? I am in the maket to purchase an ATV and debating between purchasing a trailer (additional expense, storage, registration, etc.) or haul in the bed of my truck (ramps, utilize all of the bed space, etc.).

What have you found works best - basically I would just be taking it back and forth to deer camp on the weekends.

Thanks,
J.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hauling an ATV

Either or both. I have an F-250 with longbed. This helps if you are hauling.

I prefer to haul. I consider it safer. Trailers jackknife in emergency situations.

Vernon

FootLongDawg

I use to haul mine around all the time in the back of my pick up. It was just easier not having to fool with a trailer. But after busting my sorry Chevy installed ( AND RECALLED, BUT NOT AVAILABLE ) tailgate straps several times, I started using my trailer. Also, it can get very muddy where I hunt, so I would have to spend time cleaning out the bed of the truck.

Last edited:

frankwright

I have always carried mine in the bed of my truck. It is a snap to put in and take out and I do not have to worry about trailer tires or bearings or any of that stuff.

Of course as soon as you start hunting with a partner or child who has a ATV also, all that goes out the window and you will need a good trailer that you will find 100's of other uses for also.

Trizey

I haul mine in the bed of my truck.

I would like to have a trailer for the ATV and other uses...

Randy

I have a trailor. It messes up the back of my Tahoe if I put it in there? Seriously, even when I had a Z71 pickup I still used the trailor. It is easier to load and unload from a trailor.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I have both but lately I find it is much easier to pull out the ramps and drive/unload out of the bed, unless I have the dog's box or somthing else back there I don't use my trailer much!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I hate hauling a trailer, but it would not fit well in the back of the suburban.

Jim

MICHAEL TAYLOR

i have a 1977 chevy long wheel frame van with a bed in it. my trailer hauls my 4-wheeler,2-dirt bikes and is my kitchen too. i have a nice gas grill bolted to the rails,tent poles bolted to the trailer for my tarp to keep the sun off me.i also have a nice wooden box to carry all my camping stuff! all this is on the rails and outside my trailer so i still have room for other things,ice chest,a big water container,fishing poles.i guess if i had to say something about my set up it would be i'm go to go and stay 4 or 5 days only leaving when the ice is gone.i love to camp out!

MICHAEL TAYLOR

i have a 1977 chevy long wheel frame van with a bed in it. my trailer hauls my 4-wheeler,2-dirt bikes and is my kitchen too. i have a nice gas grill bolted to the rails,tent poles bolted to the trailer for my tarp to keep the sun off me.i also have a nice wooden box to carry all my camping stuff! all this is on the rails and outside my trailer so i still have room for other things,ice chest,a big water container,fishing poles.i guess if i had to say something about my set up it would be i'm good to go and stay 4 or 5 days only leaving when the ice is gone.i love to camp out!

Murdock

I hate towing a trailer, but have a Toyota Tacoma and not much room for an ATV on there with gear and wood, etc.

Big M

F-250 psd w/14x5 1/2 trailer. :flag:
Looking for a 20-foot inclosed trailer

Kreed5821

Gone but not forgotten.
I use both. I've got a 5'X7' trailer that is only about a foot high. It works well for haulin a ride. Lately use my truck more though.

ramblinrack

5x8 trailer behind my yukon....my new truck AIN'T goin to the woods!

;)

gabowman

I have a trailer but hate carrying it around. Matter of fact, when I bought my 2nd 4 wheeler the No. 1 criteria was to make sure it'd fit between the fender wells in the bed of my truck (small Toyota P/U). I only use my 4 wheeler to putt around on or either during hunting seasons.

GB

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
I use a 5 x 8 tilt bed trailer , it's real easy to load and unload. Works good and I still have the truck bed to load up with other things.
:flag: :flag: :flag:

Perry Hayes

I use both,just depends on which truck I take and how many four wheelers.
Usually I use the side loader trailer that holds two.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I use a 5'x10' trailer with a steel mesh floor and drop down tailgate. I also mounted a lockable aluminum storage box to the front end of the trailor for storage purposes which is why I chose a 5'x10' over a 5'x8'. I store most all of my hunting gear in it with the exception of my clothes and guns. It really helps in keep everything together and saves time from having to load and unload everything each trip. A mesh floor is lighter also than a wood floor which makes for easier towing and you never have to worry about the floor rotting out on you.

If you decide to haul in the bed of your truck, be careful as a lot of folks have busted out there rear window with a 4-wheeler and I know of one fellow who lost his brand new 4-wheeler out the back of his truck going down the road at a high rate of speed totalling the 4-wheeler. Luckily he had insured it and was able to replace it.