What would you take if you HAD to go..

Dr. Strangelove

I've been in two.

I follow the weather, I wasnt caught off-guard and was well-prepared ahead of time.

When you live on the coast during Hurricane season, smart people already have their gas cans filled in their garage and never let their cars get much below half tank.

Yep, I used to live in Bradenton, FL and went through many hurricanes. As soon as the evac is called, gas is gone because everyone fills up at the same time, groceries are gone, and if the power goes out, it stays that way, for up to several months.

I stayed through a couple of Catagory 3's and I'll never do it again. If a Category 5 hits and you aren't in a nuclear rated bunker, you're done, no kidding.

JohnnyWalker

If it's a natural disaster like a storm coming you may know which way to run, but running will be impossible an hour after the alert because the roads will be clogged with all the idjits that started out with 1/4 tank of gas.
An earthquake will likely close or block many roads.
A super volcano you can't run far enough.
A major dam break and you'll be lucky to get to high ground in time with the clothes on your back.
A mega sunami you'll have a couple of hours for it to cross the Atlantic but you have to ask yourself how far a 600' wave will push inland. Florida will be gone for sure and most all of Georgia.
What about a terrorist attack (chemical, biological or nuclear)?
There likely will not be a warning.
If you are in it's path you may not be told until it is at your door.
It takes too long for the goberment to react and tell you which way to run.
An asteroid strike of a significant size you may have time to duck but that is about it.
I doubt that an accurate analysis of impact point and size will be available. Roads will be clogged and impassable anyway.

sinclair1

If it's a natural disaster like a storm coming you may know which way to run, but running will be impossible an hour after the alert because the roads will be clogged with all the idjits that started out with 1/4 tank of gas.
An earthquake will likely close or block many roads.
A super volcano you can't run far enough.
A major dam break and you'll be lucky to get to high ground in time with the clothes on your back.
A mega sunami you'll have a couple of hours for it to cross the Atlantic but you have to ask yourself how far a 600' wave will push inland. Florida will be gone for sure and most all of Georgia.
What about a terrorist attack (chemical, biological or nuclear)?
There likely will not be a warning.
If you are in it's path you may not be told until it is at your door.
It takes too long for the goberment to react and tell you which way to run.
An asteroid strike of a significant size you may have time to duck but that is about it.
I doubt that an accurate analysis of impact point and size will be available. Roads will be clogged and impassable anyway.
I got caught without cash the year the satellite went down and all ATM and credit card machines stopped for only a few hours.:rofl: there I sat with my Amex out of gas and no cash:fine:

Scrapy

Banned
Good question. A 600 foot tall wave. A wave might have 10 to one front and back slopes slopes. At most. Moving at the speed of sound. OK 10/1 X 600feet = 6,000 feet . Then take in account all the trees and highways houses on stilts and other frictional hydrology.How how about a more likely 60 ft tall wave worst case?? See where I'm headed?

Scrapy

Banned
I got caught without cash the year the satellite went down and all ATM and credit card machines stopped for only a few hours.:rofl: there I sat with my Amex out of gas and no cash:fine:
How long will your huge but finite vault of cash last???
Maybe you have a hundred vaults of cash readily available. Say you got 500 lbs of gold and I got 500 lbs of salt. I have done quite well without gold. You ever been on a saltfree diet for a month?? I bet we can make a trade ounce for ounce. And not many coming after my lime pile, they have no clue what it does.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Ain't sure where y'all are going but wherever it is.... I'm coming to!!!! I'll get da bug out of the takillya bottle when I get there!!!

GA native

I will add to everyone else's list:
Go into the pantry and grab all the dry goods; rice, beans, peanut butter, canned foods, flour, cornmeal, pasta, bear grease. Any foods that can keep at ambient temp. Cheese, bread, etc.

If the plan is to bug out, and dissapear into the wilderness, as far as your pickup will take you, bring all the food you can. If you can use the first week to scout and build a new homestead, instead of scrounging for food, survival percentages go up dramatically.

tree cutter 08

I can't imagine going anywhere. Got what I need right here. Even if power did go out got good spring water and a pressure cooker. Plenty of food, firewood, guns, ammo, meds.