1st year without a place to hunt. What would you do?

mrskinner82

This is the 1st year of my entire life without having a hunting lease. I'm having mixed emotions. On one hand I'm very much missing being in the woods right now. On the other hand its kind of a relief. Maintaining a property year round can really take up a great deal of your time. This year I've been spending more time on the golf course, and getting done some of the home projects I've pushed to side over the years. That being said I'd give anything to have my lease back. This cool weather has me wanting to be hanging on the side of a tree bow in hand instead of swinging a golf club. Finding new property is more difficult than I imagined. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat as me? What would you be doing in my position? Thanks. Good luck to all.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
I’ve got a place to hunt but I’d try to book a paid hunt or two and be lookin to line somethin up for next year as I know leases and property go fast

Lilly001

Look at the public options.
I know a lot of people put public land down but there are a few Jewels out there if you look.
I hunted public for the first 20 years.
Look for out of the way areas that most wouldn’t consider.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Lots of National Forest to hunt for the cost of a license. Just a option you might want to to explore.

Last season was the 1st one I missed since being in the Desert in 1990. I got hurt and had shoulder surgery Sept. 28th.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Ft Stewart?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d be all over some public land somewhere ! I’m in a lease and have some private land to hunt also but spend about equal time on public .
I’ve hunted 4 times this archery season , all on public . Seen deer every hunt but one and killed a doe .

Hunter922

Just a curiosity question, when did you start looking to join a club or your own property to hunt?

shdw633

Take a week off and head up to the Midwest and hunt Shawnee or Wayne National Forest public land. Not as crowded and good chance for a wall hanger plus it's the total cost to you will be less than you paid for your lease.

Wouldn’t let that hinder me at all. As others said I would find me a piece of public land scout hunt and enjoy it. May not be as easy as a lease or club but beats sitting on the couch. You can keep looking for a lease or club while you’re enjoying the great outdoors on some public land.

ssramage

I for sure wouldn't be on the golf course...

With mostly hunting with kids, it's a little different for me. But I'd for sure be looking at public land or permission pieces. It's too late for quota hunts, but I would apply to as many of those as I could also.

rugerfan

public land is horrible. I would just keep golfing.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

FOUR!!!!!

Ok, in all seriousness I can't just say that. Hunt public, just realize that there is etiquette that needs to be learned. Don't be a jerk, try not to tread on where others are, be patient and courteous. If you walk in on someone that you didn't know was there, turn around and go back the way you came, and do it as quiet as possible, don't mess up their hunt anymore than you already have.

The most unhospitable places for humans, is where the big deer are gonna be. The harder it is for you to walk in quietly is the where they find the most security from you. The easy road the easy trail is not going to give you a lot of success. Please please don't just post up on the access trails.

It isn't easy, there is no corn, there is no 4 wheeler, there is a lot of walking at times. When you pull the trigger and the deer goes down, then it is time to decide how are you going to get it out. Are you dragging are you skinning and quartering in the field what is your plan. Get some sharp knives, a mapping / Gps app for your phone, and some comfortable boots.

Last edited:

Taco4x4

I lost my lease and private land and didn't hunt for two years. It just felt so wrong to not be in the woods. A friend of mine talked me into going with him scouting some public land. I really liked what I saw. So much that I went back the next day by myself. That was twelve years ago. I don't ever want to be in a lease again. Once you learn the ways of the public you will like it as well. A lot cheaper with no drama and no work days. I am a lot healthier now than I was in my lease huntin days because you have to keep your boots on the ground scouting and walking to and from your secret spots. Heading there this afternoon soon as I get off work. Can't wait. Now go get out there and do what you love while you can. Never know what tomorrow brings. Good luck brother.

35 Whelen

This is the 1st year of my entire life without having a hunting lease. I'm having mixed emotions. On one hand I'm very much missing being in the woods right now. On the other hand its kind of a relief. Maintaining a property year round can really take up a great deal of your time. This year I've been spending more time on the golf course, and getting done some of the home projects I've pushed to side over the years. That being said I'd give anything to have my lease back. This cool weather has me wanting to be hanging on the side of a tree bow in hand instead of swinging a golf club. Finding new property is more difficult than I imagined. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat as me? What would you be doing in my position? Thanks. Good luck to all.

I hunted public land for many years when I lived in Gwinnett County, killed a lot of deer and a few hogs on different WMA's. Most will tell you to go deep on public land, which is good advice, however I think it is better to go where other hunters won't go. Swamp, thick brush/briars, flooded timber, privet choked bottom land. Stay away from roads, trails, and creeks. People are afraid of getting lost so they stay close to these features. Hunt all day, people bump deer going back to their camp or trucks at 10AM and when they come back at 4PM. Also, hunt until 30 minutes after sunset and learn to walk out in the dark, killed a number of deer and hogs in the last few minutes of legal shooting time. I hunted OTG (on the ground) in a portable folding chair with a blowdown or large tree at my back to break up my outline. Don't skyline yourself on a hilltop. Portable chair makes it very easy to relocate quickly and quietly when needed. Pay attention to prevailing wind. Bring everything you need to stay comfortable, the more comfortable you are the better you can sit still.

rugerfan

Y’all are being very generous. GA DRN should be paying for all this advertising!

Yeah you are right and I wish.

But...... here is what I have seen. There are very few that start hunting public land and stick with it. They get all gung ho to do it, but the majority usually end up back in a lease somewhere for one reason or another.

DynamicDennis

Probably make my wife a lot happier, and get more done. Except she would get tired of me complaining about it, and kick me out into the woods somewhere. Actually, that maybe a way to get her to drop me off a couple places. Been asking for years...........