No does

ASH556

My understanding is that most would consider does more prevalent and easier to kill than bucks. I'm not sure if it's something about the way I hunt or the properties I hunt, but I see way more bucks than does. I killed my first deer in 2002 and it was a doe as was my second deer in 2003. Some years I killed no deer and some years I killed multiple, but as of today, I've killed 24 deer total consisting of 9 does and 15 bucks. Some of the bucks I've killed were nice bucks and I was pleased to take them. Others were killed out of desparation to get some meat. Thus far this year over about 5 or 6 hunts, I've seen 8 deer from the stand, only 3 of which were does. I hunt NE GA in the foothills and hunt terrain features combined with water sources in hardwoods. There are no hay or ag fields on any of the properties I hunt. Even on camera I have more bucks than does. I rarely see multiple deer per sit and don't have the large doe groups that others seem to have.

Do you think this is more a function of the properties I hunt, or how I hunt (the areas I choose?) If there are things I could change to specifically target does moreso, I'd like to do that to increase my meat acquisition. I prefer to bow hunt too for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Triple C

Just my uneducated and anecdotal opinion but I'd say it's the properties you hunt.

Drop down in the piedmont region with a little more ag and old field/pasture scenarios you will find some properties are covered up with does and bucks.

Every property is unique.

Any afternoon I'll have 10 to 20 deer, consisting mostly of doe groups, in our largest field - not to mention what is in the other fields/plots.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The does maybe shot out in your area. Lots of folks say kill a doe for meat. I have a few does and see them. Get pics. We try to limit our doe kills. Last I checked they are the ones that have fawns.
Others think kill a few does gives the buck more to eat. Well there’s plenty out there for them to eat. They eating brairs I mowed as much as a patch.
Now they can hide out good too.
Old nanny doe is wise.

krizia829

I wish that was our situation! lol we have too many does. WAY too many!

Toliver

I hunted a club in Talbot years ago. It was heavily managed for trophies. I probably saw more bucks than does by a ratio of 5 to 1 at least. It was fun. I had to let a 12 point walk because I wasn't sure he met the threshold for club rules on width. Beautiful mainframe 10 with a 3 or 4 inch sticker off the back of each G2. It was a great season and a wonderful problem to have. I only got to hunt there 1 season though.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
That's all our youth rifle season is, antlerless, unless they hunt with an xbow.

Core Lokt

I hunted a club in Talbot years ago. It was heavily managed for trophies. I probably saw more bucks than does by a ratio of 5 to 1 at least. It was fun. I had to let a 12 point walk because I wasn't sure he met the threshold for club rules on width. Beautiful mainframe 10 with a 3 or 4 inch sticker off the back of each G2. It was a great season and a wonderful problem to have. I only got to hunt there 1 season though.
What was the width rule? How wide?

baddave

not knowing you or anything about you , I would first wonder what times of the season do you hunt. You see this all season? from the 1st week of bow season until January?

ASH556

not knowing you or anything about you , I would first wonder what times of the season do you hunt. You see this all season? from the 1st week of bow season until January?
Yes, through extended archery at the end of January. In 2021 for instance I tagged out on bucks in November and tried until Jan 31st to get a doe for the freezer. I saw several more bucks, no does.

Toliver

What was the width rule? How wide?
14 inches inside spread. Nothing crazy but he was tall and kinda narrow. Wasn't worth risking the club fine.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
14 inches inside spread. Nothing crazy but he was tall and kinda narrow. Wasn't worth risking the club fine.
Nobody knows

buckpasser

I generally see more bucks than does, but I rarely hunt food and mostly hunt bedding cover or areas that I see as “staging” for travel to food in the evenings. When I’m guiding my kids it’s usually on food and we typically see more does than bucks, and way more does than mature bucks. I think does travel routes are generally shorter and more predictable, especially when rut kicks off.

I find myself trying to figure out how to put my kids into my hunting style, but it’s tough getting a “two man” setup 40’ high over bedding cover!