Anyone ever heard of a good news bee

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Seen 'em... never got stung by one. Frankly, that's the only kind of bee I can tolerate.

rip18

They are really a fly that is a bee mimic (so they can't sting). They hover in one spot and can move around really fast.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Never heard of a Good News Bee. Am familiar with a small insect that resembles a minature dragon fly that spends most of its time just hovering about.

Children of earlier times referred to them as Billies (or Billys). They would offer an extended finger in the direction of a hovering Billie, while at the same time repeating a simple little verse, "Billie, Billie, light on my finger". If the Billie lit on the finger (as often they would), this was taken as a token that your secret sweetheart loves you. This was always good news.

Many of us were boys at one time. Many still are.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
We call them "news toters". They act like they got some news to tell ya.

DRB1313

I know what a Billy bee is. If you say billy billy billy, they will land on your finger.
Just like Vernon said.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I've been walking outside most of the morning saying billy,billy,billy, over and over, the only thing that landed on my finger was a booger.:cry:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
found this with a google search. Have no clue about about the Good News part:

Attachments

• good news bee.jpg
    good news bee.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6,818

W4DSB

Boy , I hadn't thought about a Billy Bee in years!

but I do remember them from long ago!

Killdee

Yeah we always called it a billybee. the bees that are black with kind of a long tail we called a good weather bee, they dont sting either. We used to catch them with our hands cupped together and hold em close to a sleeping dogs ear to mess with em.