Just All Around Good Hardhittin' Auto

HighCotton

I'm no that familiar with automatic pistols. I'm interested in getting something as a backup carry while hunting and for occasional target shooting. If you could choose between

9mm
10mm
......... what else?

Thanks.

Nugefan

The 10 mm is a great round , expensive but an awesome round ....

ATLRoach

The 10 mm is a great round , expensive but an awesome round ....

Not really if you reload.

Yes the 10mm with do everything the 357 will do with an increased round count in a semi auto.

Some models in a 10mm are the Glock 20 / 27, Dan Wesson-CZ Autos, Colt Delta Elite, Bren Ten, EAA Witness, S&W 1006/1046/1086 and the 610(Revolver)

Lead Poison

I personally do not believe the 45 ACP is an adequate hunting cartridge, this especially applies to the little 9mm.

I do believe, under the right circumstances, the 10mm could be used.

I believe better choices would be:

1. 44 magnum
2. 45 Long Colt
3. 41 magnum
4. or the really big bores if you can shoot them; 454, 460 & 500 S&W

EMC-GUN

I do agree that the .44 Mag would probably trump any auto choice. On the other hand I do think that the 45 ACP is quite adequate for a Ga whitetail. If many, who revere the 45 ACP as a proven fight stopper, would shoot a 250 lb attacker than why would we not use the same gun and cartridge to kill a 140 lb Ga whitetail? It is about shot placement. I could punch a 230gr HP through the vitals of a whitetail at a reasonable range. And you know what would happen? It would die. If the state of Ga and the biologists and powers that be allow the tiny 22 Hornet to be used then I do not see any problem in using the good old 45. It's a proven killer. I may even use mine this year! I do agree that the 9MM is inadequate.

ATLRoach

I personally do not believe the 45 ACP is an adequate hunting cartridge, this especially applies to the little 9mm.

I do believe, under the right circumstances, the 10mm could be used.

I believe better choices would be:

1. 44 magnum
2. 45 Long Colt
3. 41 magnum
4. or the really big bores if you can shoot them; 454, 460 & 500 S&W

A 10mm in +P form will provide very close to the same power as the 41 mag so I personally believe it will be more than enough to kill a GA Deer or Hog. I have picture to provide that it will do both.

WTM45

The right bullets and loadings in 9MM perform well, both in penetration and expansion.
What it loses in momentum (lighter bullet weights) it makes up for in velocity.

The 10MM would be the best choice in an auto for tougher critters.

Last edited:

no clever name

If many, who revere the 45 ACP as a proven fight stopper, would shoot a 250 lb attacker than why would we not use the same gun and cartridge to kill a 140 lb Ga whitetail? It is about shot placement..

It's about distance, look up the average distance of a firefight with an attacker, you'll be surprised how short it is.

I've got a glock 20 to carry in the woods just in case I need to make the occasional behind the eye headshot:stir:

EMC-GUN

I killed a deer last year at 10 yds with a iron sighted Mosin Nagant. I think I burned it's fur:bounce: I could have easily popped it through the lungs at that distance with my 1911A1 45 ACP. There are some 45 ACP slugs that expand to almost .750! That will do the job. I also have a Marlin Camp Carbine in the 45 ACP. I have shot it accurately beyond 50 yds. It will hold about 4 inches at 100 yds. It is about a ft. low though:rolleyes:

mr4shootin

The way I read the original post he was asking about an "auto pistol" for "backup carry while hunting and target shooting".For that I highly recommend the CZ 75B in 9mm.

dertiedawg

The right bullets and loadings in 9MM perform well, both in penetration and expansion.
What it loses in momentum (lighter bullet weights) it makes up for in velocity.

I do agree the 9mm is a little light for hunting. I hunt with a scoped 44mag revolver but use the 9MM for shots too close up to use the scope. I use 125gr Corbon +P, vel 1250fps and 434 ft/lbs. One shot in the boiler room will take ANY whitetail down. These are light, thinned skinned, small boned animals. There will be some tracking, but it will take them down. These shots are always CLOSE UP shots. If I had a larger caliber carry piece, I would use it, but I don't, so my backup is the 9. When I get my Encore, I will put the scope on it and use the 44mag (without the scope) as a back up for close shots.
Vin

tv_racin_fan

Backup? HHMm well I could carry the GP100 and use the Old Army as backup or vice versa, or I could carry the Old Army and use the Remmy 1858 clone as backup. When I get the permit I'll probably carry a Kahr K9 as two legged critter prevention...

Cleankill47

As a backup I would say that a .45, or even maybe a 9mm, with some Cor-Bon DPX rounds would be more than enough for a 'finishing' gun when chasing whitetails, hogs, or any other midsize game in GA.

It's all about what's comfortable to you. Get something you can handle, that fits your hand right; get the right ammo for the job, and you'll do fine.

Of course, nothing beats a good-ol' .357 magnum revolver. .38+P's will finish a deer, and some of the cast Magnum loads can easily be used to hunt with all by themselves. Of course, with a backup, you'd want a 3" or 4" barrel, but for a hunting gun, you'd want at least a 6"... Just a thought.

WTM45

...and some of the cast Magnum loads can easily be used to hunt with all by themselves.

Us handgun hunters know the value of penetration, and how solids and cast slugs give it.

But.......GA requires an EXPANDING bullet for hunting big game! Don't forget!

fishndinty

A cast lead bullet will expand very nicely, right? I thought cast bullets were perfectly legal for deer hunting. You can use a plain old lead ball for muzzleloader--this counts as an expanding bullet, and cast bullets for a .357 or .44 also do.

WTM45

Hard cast is not an expanding bullet, but the DNR probably does not care or know the difference. But it works fantastically on game.
Penetration is the ultimate goal in handgun hunting.

whitworth

9mm is too light

according to an expert, I spoke to, who had eyeball experience.

Said too many criminal types made it to the hospital, that were shot with 9mm's and traveled with him in the ambulance.

WTM45

Funny how some think a .357 Magnum 125gr @1300 is much more of a killer than the 9MM 124gr @ 1200.
Must be the fancy name.......

Any service caliber can put you in the ground. 9MM has done its share.