Mississippi River

kyhunter

A buddy of mine in MS wants me to go hunting with them on the Miss River next weekend. He thinks that Arkansas will be locked up from the cold and a lot of ducks will move to the river. What do yall think?

Nitro

Banned
I think that a few Ducks aren't worth risking your life over.

If they aren't properly outfitted, you are tempting fate.

crow

I think he'd better be a veteran river hunter and know the area you'd be hunting really well. With the high water, the wing dikes and underwater obstructions are not visible and are just waiting to take out you lower unit or worse! That river is scary in the summertime when it is in its banks. Right now, there are whole trees coming down the swift current and I will not run the river unless I am with someone who knows its every twist and turn. It will have chunk ice in it the next few days, as well. Unless you have a very large boat and are with someone who lives on that river...don't do it!

That said, there are few places that can compare for duck hunting to those back water eddies when the fields are frozen.

crow

kyhunter

I think he'd better be a veteran river hunter and know the area you'd be hunting really well. With the high water, the wing dikes and underwater obstructions are not visible and are just waiting to take out you lower unit or worse! That river is scary in the summertime when it is in its banks. Right now, there are whole trees coming down the swift current and I will not run the river unless I am with someone who knows its every twist and turn. It will have chunk ice in it the next few days, as well. Unless you have a very large boat and are with someone who lives on that river...don't do it!

That said, there are few places that can compare for duck hunting to those back water eddies when the fields are frozen.

crow

Thanks for the info I should have givin more myself they do it a lot. I however have never done it, they did say we would be in back water and not the actual river.

Nitro

Banned
I would be on the White or Cache River!

I love to hunt the White. We used to smash em around Clarendon.

The Cache is a sentimental favorite, water levels are always an issue.....it's lower than ever.

I also like to hunt the Arkansas River at Trusten Holder WMA..... word is most of the rice fields in NE Arkansas are frozen to the dirt. May be some birds there.

Sadly, with no snow cover on the food, these cold temps won't make the birds move too much. I bet there are thousands of Mallards still in Missouri and Kansas sitting there feeding in dry fields...

Good Luck to all who go.