DIY Mississippi Duck Hunting

BigBass123

Starting to look into a DIY trip I could do solo over a weekend this year that’s close enough to get by without taking a day off of work.

Anyone hunt mid to western Mississippi before? About 4.5 hours from the house so I could hypothetically drive over one Saturday morning, scout all afternoon then hunt a Sunday morning OR scout all weekend than go back the following weekend with a couple of spots in mind and hunt both days.

Is it worth it or would y’all just take a day or two of PTO and go the extra couple of hours to Arkansas/Louisiana? At that distance I’d need to travel Friday morning, scout hard that afternoon, probably scout again Saturday, then hunt hard Sunday and Monday.

I’d be taking a 14’ Jon with a regular 15 hp motor and about 3 dozen decoys with me.

Michael F Sights

Back in late 90's, early 2000's lived there & hunted Delta National Forest & Peral River WMA. The public areas are packed on weekends, if you can hunt midweek it's better. Carry an air compressor, the locals used to flatten tires of out of state people.

If the weather is right & you can scout you can kill ducks.

flatsmaster

If you’re happy exploring and possibly killing a few it can happen 100% … if your expectation is to shoot a 4 man by 9 you’ll probably be disappointed … everything freezes and you have open water bring extra shells … good luck

jdgator

Lived in Mississippi in the mid 2000s. Have duck hunted there off and on since. Lower flyway is pretty inconsistent. Your best bet is to go on a weekday trip during mid January.

If you can possibly be flexible on the specific date then you should wait for it to freeze hard in Arkansas / Tennessee. If you have to put a date on the books then I recommend being flexible in terms of location. Generally, the further north you pick the better.

Huh I knew from wv that hunted there had a fake license plates with magnets on them…he put them over his plate before he left the ramp.

I was born and raised in Vicksburg. Hunted the Delta and north east Louisiana and south east Arkansas. It can be hit or miss . Get a cold front and the rivers lakes and water up can be full of ducks . Next couple of days the get shot birds get wary and decoy shy. Sat up on the Yazoo and saw V after V high on oxygen headed south . I killed a wood duck hen last time I went. If I was going and carrying a boat I would have a 4 wheel drive truck . Allot of boat ramps are just big mud holes. The blue gumbo buckshot mud ain’t like nothing you have ever seen in Georgia. I promise you your wader boots will weigh a ton the mud is lake black glue. Try the horse shoe lakes north of Vicksburg. Allot of public land in some NWRs around RollingFork

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Belzoni spoilt me for duck hunting.
Ruined, I tell ya.
Worst thing about it was that nasty little motel.

MudDucker

Staff member
I was born and raised in Vicksburg. Hunted the Delta and north east Louisiana and south east Arkansas. It can be hit or miss . Get a cold front and the rivers lakes and water up can be full of ducks . Next couple of days the get shot birds get wary and decoy shy. Sat up on the Yazoo and saw V after V high on oxygen headed south . I killed a wood duck hen last time I went. If I was going and carrying a boat I would have a 4 wheel drive truck . Allot of boat ramps are just big mud holes. The blue gumbo buckshot mud ain’t like nothing you have ever seen in Georgia. I promise you your wader boots will weigh a ton the mud is lake black glue. Try the horse shoe lakes north of Vicksburg. Allot of public land in some NWRs around RollingFork

Only hunted in Mississippi on private clubs. That mud you are talking about is something else. Not as bad as Darien pudding, but not far off!

florida boy

I have hunted public land for waterfowl in the Ms Delta for the past 31 years in a row . Its not what it used to be .........you could be picky in the years past and kill some big ducks consitantly . these days you better be ready to get to a spot around 2 am and be happy with whatever you can kill .

kevbo3333

Do you have a boat, decoys and all necessary equipment? I have hunted miss and Arkie public land for years, personally i would drive a little further to Arkansas, you will have more public land to hunt.

Arrow3

For years I drove out to hunt O'Keefe, Howard Miller, Mahannah, and Twin Oaks wma just to name a few. Most of the time we killed a few. Sometimes we killed limits. Mostly Teal, Gadwall, Wigeon, and shovelers . The amount of people and the lack of ducks made me quit doing it 5 or more years ago.

Ajlink2

lot of good public options around yazoo. cant beat the MS delta, but you are right - it has to be locked up up north for them to come down that far these days.

lot of good public options around yazoo. cant beat the MS delta, but you are right - it has to be locked up up north for them to come down that far these days.
Born and raised in the delta