coyotes killing my calves!

jgyfarms

this is the third year in a row that i've lost at least one calf to yotes. yall got any good advice on how/where/when the best way to kill em all? calls? day, night, morning? any help would be great. i tried calling them in last year but never had any luck. thanks!

drhayes

Don't know where you are located in the state. I am in Pickens county. I am new to yote hunting. If you are close maybe we can learn together. Don't waste your money on expensive electronic callers. While I have no experience, I found it very easy to produce distress sounds with store bought mouth calls. I sounded just like the pro on the dvd within a few hours. I spent 20 bucks on 2 calls and a dvd.

pm me your email and I will send you an e-book on yote hunting with some good info.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
this is the third year in a row that i've lost at least one calf to yotes. yall got any good advice on how/where/when the best way to kill em all? calls? day, night, morning? any help would be great. i tried calling them in last year but never had any luck. thanks!

If you have a dead calf or cow and they have not finished it off, position yourself downwind about 75 to 100 yards and wait on them to come to the carcass to feed. An accurate semi-auto rifle should allow you to take a couple out. You could trap them with steel traps. If you have a good size creek on your property with a good size log crossing it, most likely the yotes will use that log for crossing. You can make a log set and catch a bunch but you will also catch a lot of coons and foxes with this set up. If you want to know how to make this set, you can pm me and I'll tell you in detail how to do it.I believe you will need a trapping license to do this.

redtick

I was going to my hunt club the other day and saw a cayote chasing a small calf. The cow was doing her best to protect the calf. I stoped and walked toward the cayote and he took off, I wanted to shoot him but was afraid the farmer might think the wrong thing. I dont see how cattle farmers survive in some areas of Georgia.

boarbutcher

If you can find where they are crossing your fence into the pasture then put some snares up there and you should catch them. If you can get your hands on the predator madness 3 dvd it shows you how to build and set snares for yotes.

just go and wait and see what they are doing id go buy and eletric call and call um in use ur truck lights or something when u hear them running in then drop um

siberian1

How do you know it was a coyote??? I have lost calves to free roaming dogs before. They are more of a problem than any coyote has ever been. Coyotes mainly eat mice and other carrion.

Mel

Get a donkey. Will most definitely kill the coyote and protect your cows.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
How does the donkey catch and kill a coyote?
Not saying he doesn't just can't imagine him being as fast as the coyote.

They will run and stomp any dog or coyote they see, the right kind of donkey anyway. The one we had was nothing but a little burro about 450 lbs, but he was mean as a striped snake. We used to keep a big herd of meat goats and the coyotes would have broke us if not for some great pyreneese dogs we got. I used to find bits and pieces of coyote all over the goat pasture from time after we got us a pair of these dogs. I am not sure how well they work with cattle but you can probably easily find some reputable breeders with a quick web search.

I ain;t sure where your particular community is at, but up here in my neck of the woods we got the best coyote trapper I reckon anywhere around these parts. He makes his own scents from "tainted" tom cats, tarsal glands, beaver musk and Lord knows what else and buries in some swampy black earth in mason jars. This voodoo concoction will make a buzzard puke but a yote will slap dig thru concrete to get to it. This feller catches em by the pickup load where they are having problems and resells them to fox hunters all around the south. (he uses spring traps with rubber coated jaws) If you are in west central GA pm me and I'll pass his contact info along, if not I would suggest checking with the Ga Trapper's Assoc or the local DNR folks to see if they could point you to a good trapper.

Just some ideas to ponder.

Mel

How does the donkey catch and kill a coyote?
Not saying he doesn't just can't imagine him being as fast as the coyote.
They will run and stomp any dog or coyote they see, the right kind of donkey anyway. The one we had was nothing but a little burro about 450 lbs, but he was mean as a striped snake.
Yep. The donkey has a very high sense of self preservation. His main concern is his safety and he will kill anything her perceives a threat. If you get one, really needs to be a Jenny [girl] because an uncut stud jack can be real dangerous towards people as well.

We have a mule [donkey jack crossed with mare horse] that will attack dogs that get into the pasture. They definitely can AND will catch and kill a coyote in the pasture. Lotta people will keep a couple Jenny's in their pasture for protection.

redneckacorn

I've always herd a donkey will protect your livestock , but recently I heard you should have a jenny because a jack might harm what he is suppose to be protecting if he perceives it as a threat. Anyone know if this is true or not. I like the idea of calling them in and killing them or sitting downwind of the kill site.

watashot89

TRAP them. its the most effective way to take them out in large numbers. Get some traps, leran to use them and trap them. And you can also make some money while doing it.

Stalker

My land owner has about 80 head and has had a problem with them. I have shot 19 coyotes out there in the last 4 years. He bought 2 donkeys and has not had a problem since. Sounds crazy but the donkeys keep the coyotes away from the cattle.

CCP

TRAP them. its the most effective way to take them out in large numbers.

When I get problem coyote calls I tell them I will call and try one time then I will get them a trapper. Losing money on livestock is not a good thing. Traps work 24/7.

the right kind of donkey anyway

This is true. I have seen some Donkeys that help keep predators away but have also watched a coyote chase a donkey on more than one occasion. I have also killed coyotes within 50 yards of donkeys. We went through several on our farm years ago.

Like someone already said Pyrenees dogs are about the best natural coyote deterrent I have ever seen.

jgyfarms

thanks guys. donkeys are a joke. ive had jacks and jennys and seen yotes in the middle of the herd. weve got three different pastures in two counties and tried several different ones and they weren't worth the feed they ate. i know its coyotes. i've seen them and the tracks and have never seen a wild dog anywhere near the pasture. today one went missing. he was there this morning and gone when i checked them again this evening. this is the first time i've known them to hit in the middle of the day. i'd still love to hear some more on types of calls to use, typical setups, best time to hunt em, etc.

siberian1

Use a treestand. Hunt The field edges early and late. Sort of like Deer hunting. Use a mouthcall sparingly and be alert. They will sneak up downwind of you. Since you are in a tree you have a better chance of seeing them before they see you.Wear lots of camo like you were turkey hunting. Its actually alot of fun. Dont use snares though..They are a cruel way to kill something.