Cheap Turkey Loads

Gadget

I’ve loaded everything the last 20yrs; lead, heavishot, TS15, TSS and shot birds with all of it but I always carry lead 7 loads on every hunt. I’ve killed several with lead 7s over the years, I’ve yet to lose one or need a second shot on any of em but I limit my shots to 35yds. I always try to setup where I only have a less than 40yd shot, and I use lead 7s in that scenario. If my only choice is an open area with longer shot distance then I use the heavy stuff. I’m loading some 20ga 1 3/8 oz lead 7s up now and thought I’d post up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

tad1

Bet that throws a great pattern!
We certainly overcomplicate things with all the latest and greatest. That load of 7 would likely killed every turkey I’ve ever shot at
JT

Dupree

I’ve had thoughts of setting up an over under to have a 20 yard barrel and a 40 yard.

Gaswamp

Federal use to have a lead #7 turkey load

Last edited:

Gadget

The reason I’ve never wounded or lost a bird shooting lead 7 is I carry a rangefinder, when I sit down I mark off 35 yd spots and keep my shots inside those markers. Most all my shots are between 20-30yds; My longest was 33. Some places I hunt your faced with open areas like big open hardwood or fields and so Tungsten is the way to go there.

Last edited:

Gadget

I’ve had thoughts of setting up an over under to have a 20 yard barrel and a 40 yard.

That would be nice, just the drawback of added weight with two barrels. I came close to doing a double barrel setup.
I use Savsge 220A single shot Gun Docc specials with modified Docter Optic reflex sights. Have a 20 and a 12

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 31

Dupree

That would be nice, just the drawback of added weight with two barrels. I came close to doing a double barrel setup.
I use Savsge 220A single shot Gun Docc specials with modified Docter Optic reflex sights. Have a 20 and a 12
Losing the weight of the action helps a little. My son shoots competitively and I’ve shouldered a lot of o/u guns and some are surprisingly light.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Your 20 ga. set up inspired my preference for single-shots, first a Baikal and now Yildiz single shots. My .410 is 3.25 lbs. and the 12 ga. is 4.25 lbs. Gil

Gadget

Your 20 ga. set up inspired my preference for single-shots, first a Baikal and now Yildiz single shots. My .410 is 3.25 lbs. and the 12 ga. is 4.25 lbs. Gil

Love hunting with singles, the 20 is soo light sometimes I have to reach around and make sure it’s still on my back. I’ve never missed or wounded a single bird so never need a second shot.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve a Yildiz .410 O/U, Sumtoy choke in the upper barrel, modified in the bottom, 4.5 lbs.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Love hunting with singles, the 20 is soo light sometimes I have to reach around and make sure it’s still on my back. I’ve never missed or wounded a single bird so never need a second shot.
The only time I needed a second shot was when the uncertainty as to whether or not the Governor was going to stop hunting during covid. His address to the state with his decision was to be announced on Friday and I thought maybe Thursday, the day I was in the woods, would be the last day. I was shooting my .410. Two birds came in. Both went behind separate trees at 35 steps. First one stepped out, bam, down. I reloaded the single-shot and held it on the other tree where the brother gobbler was behind. He stepped out and he shouldn't have. Since 1977, I've never tried to shoot a second bird although I've had many chances. One was enough, but with the likelihood of Thursday being the last day, I couldn't help myself.

Attachments

• turkeys 040220 (1).jpg
    turkeys 040220 (1).jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 24

Gaswamp

Yep those federal 7.5 shells were the best. I still have about 5-6 boxes of them.
forgot it was 7 1/2 load, bet the one Gadget hand loads is unreal

Gadget

The only time I needed a second shot was when the uncertainty as to whether or not the Governor was going to stop hunting during covid. His address to the state with his decision was to be announced on Friday and I thought maybe Thursday, the day I was in the woods, would be the last day. I was shooting my .410. Two birds came in. Both went behind separate trees at 35 steps. First one stepped out, bam, down. I reloaded the single-shot and held it on the other tree where the brother gobbler was behind. He stepped out and he shouldn't have. Since 1977, I've never tried to shoot a second bird although I've had many chances. One was enough, but with the likelihood of Thursday being the last day, I couldn't help myself.

Ha that’s a nice story, sounds like a hunt to remember there.
There’s only one time in my turkey hunting career where I purposely killed 2 gobblers. On opening morning I had three flocks come together in a clearcut; several Jakes, 5 Toms and a bunch of hens. A big fight ensued with Toms jumping up in the air flogging each other. I was after the the biggest Tom but he never presented a shot, as they started moving off I decided to shoot one of the others, then the biggest Tom ran back and jumped on the one I shot so I decided to shoot him. As I walked up to claim my two Toms I was dismayed to find a Jake also flopping 15 yds away over the hill. Never saw him so don’t know if he got hit on the first or second shot. My season was over within the first hour of opening morning….lol

Reactions: GLS

Gaswamp

Is dr. optic still in business?

Gadget

Is dr. optic still in business?

No, there is someone selling a copy, they probably bought the rights like Burris did. The Docter lll was the last version, I have 6 l,ll and llls ,the lll was the best. I think there are probably better options out there today. Saw some nice ones at opticsplanet, wide angle, adjustable brightness, multi dot options. No parallax, 3 moa etc

Last edited:

Toddmann

I’ll be toting the old Savage 220 28g. Hoping to find a bird!

Attachments

• IMG_9392.jpeg
    IMG_9392.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 13

Gadget

That’s a sweet setup. Gunn Doc special? What loads have you been able to work up for that? 3 inch ?

Toddmann

Bought it years ago and set it up myself. It had a real nice vent rib added before I got it and whoever put it on was a top notch gunsmith. The meadows creek base works great on it. It’s set up for handloaded TSS 9’s 15/16 ounce 2.75” loads. Just using straight full choke and at 40 it has a great even pattern.