Remington Nitro shells and others

Ugahunter2013

I have always used Hevi 13's , 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz, 6 shot out of my Browning Silver 12 ga. They were absolute destruction on turkeys out to 50 yards with an Indian Creek choke. I am out of those shells and apparently that particular load is not manufactured anymore. I am really not interested in paying 10-15 dollars a shell for TSS and the others, unless there are no other options. I know the Remington Nitro's have been around for quite a while. Does anyone use them and what is your experience with them? Bass pro has the nitro's in the same shell, but 2oz for $17.99/box.

Last edited:

Gut_Pile

Only way to know is to buy some and shoot paper.

You are going to lose some knockdown power dropping from HTL to lead but should have no problem killing gobblers at 40 yards and in

B. White

Used them in 10 and 12ga, but that was so long ago the recipe has probably changed. Usually just go with Win XX now.

Huntinfool

You might also consider dropping to a 3" shell and #7's or even 9's. Same havoc, less feeling like you just shot a howitzer.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Lonbeard XR 3" 5 or 6 shot will drop them. All I use in my 12

TSS is overkill IMO in a 12 guage....shines in a 20 to 410.

Only way to know is to buy a box of Nitros, Longbeards and put it to paper, beats chasing the rabbit hole of chokes but not to say you may need a different choke.

.660 jellyhead with the longbeards works great in my 870 12 guage

deast1988

Call Nitro ammo in Missouri, order the hevi shot loaded shells. The way I use to justify Nitro prices, add 2 boxes of hevi shot add the tax and shipping you’d be within $10 with the nitro shells. I use to use a 3.5in 2.25oz #6x7 hevi shot duplex in my black eagle and it would do 330+ before tss was ever a thing. I used a 3in #7 hevi shot shell in my 20ga to kill the biggest bird I had ever killed in ga, those Nitro loaded #7s were doing 220” in a 10in circle back when tss was talked about in the shadows and only a hand loaders proposition.

Nitro still has hevi shot loads offered on the website, and it’s not as steep as tss.