Question on Apex vs Federal Premium TSS...

Stevie Ray

Thought I was going to get some Apex Mossy Oak Greenleaf or Apex 3" #9 TSS but I see they're out of stock now but Apex has 2 3/4" #9 TSS in stock and I can find Federal Premium 3" #9 TSS available, out of those two loads which would y'all choose ... this is for a 20 gauge Mossberg Bantam.

This will be my first year shooting a 20 gauge and my first year shooting TSS so I am in the dark as to which load to use.

Also, whenever Apex is out of stock on a particular ammo how long does it typically take for them to have it back in stock?

Thanks!

Dupree

I shoot the apex ninja loads. They are 8.5’s. You may be able to get them from Mack’s PW or woodhaven.

Dupree

Mack’s PW doesn’t have the ninja in stock, but they do have 3” #9’s. In my experience apex is way superior than federal. 22018008-8530-4660-A84A-7CD5929B16CD.png

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I shoot the Federal 7s, 9s and Apex 9s in my Mossberg bantam. All do very well. I do prefer that Apex since it has more pellets. All are 3" shells.

Dupree

Actually Mack's did have the Ninja's in stock so I ordered a box, after I pattern them I'll see how they do and will probably order a couple of more boxes ... Thanks Dupree!
They will be more than adequate in that gun with just a full choke. A turkey choke might be too tight for my liking. I’ve been more partial to a .575-.590 choke in 20gauges with tss. I like wiggle room.

Dupree

Good deal, I ordered a box of Ninja's and I'll see how they do in my Bantam.
And for the record, I own a bantam. My son killed his first couple of birds with it, but now I loan it out to friends with smaller kids.

Stevie Ray

They will be more than adequate in that gun with just a full choke. A turkey choke might be too tight for my liking. I’ve been more partial to a .575-.590 choke in 20gauges with tss. I like wiggle room.
I've got a Carlson's non ported extended .575 choke for that gun and I believe the factory extra full(?) choke that came with the gun measured .585 constriction IIRC. I did pattern test it and dialed in the red dot with the Carlson's choke using cheap game loads and I was really happy so I'm hoping a quick single round shot with the Ninja's will have it ready to roll.

Dupree

I've got a Carlson's non ported extended .575 choke for that gun and I believe the factory extra full(?) choke that came with the gun measured .585 constriction IIRC. I did pattern test it and dialed in the red dot with the Carlson's choke using cheap game loads and I was really happy so I'm hoping a quick single round shot with the Ninja's will have it ready to roll.
That .575 should throw a nice even pattern. I’ve got 7-8 boxes of the ninjas, if you were closer I’d offer you some to go ahead and try.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I like apex a little more than federal but i like them both.
I would definetley get the 3" federal before I got the 2 3/4 apex though if that was my choice

Stevie Ray

That .575 should throw a nice even pattern. I’ve got 7-8 boxes of the ninjas, if you were closer I’d offer you some to go ahead and try.
Thanks for the offer, that's mighty nice of you!

I actually hand load most all of my rifle, pistol and some shotgun ammo so I'm planning on hand loading the TSS whenever I gather up the components once I get past this season.

devolve

Another vote for apex 9’s. I patterned them in A mossberg 535 with the factory turkey choke. The pattern is ridiculous, I forget the percentage of pellet retention i counted, but it blew me away. I was very skeptical about TSS 9’s for a long time because of the pellet size. I’m old school and shot 3.5” #4 lead forever.
I’ve shot 7 or 8 birds with tss now and I’m 1,000% sold forever.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Not gonna bust out the cash for TSS just yet, but has any of y’all shot the Herters brand? Cabela’s had a bunch of TSS in different brands……I’m not ready to $hoot a $13 shell facepalm:

Gaswamp

Not gonna bust out the cash for TSS just yet, but has any of y’all shot the Herters brand? Cabela’s had a bunch of TSS in different brands……I’m not ready to $hoot a $13 shell facepalm:
what gun and shell u currently using?

Lumpkin Hunter

I shoot a youth model 11-87 20 g. with a flush mount Carlson .580 choke and get very good patterns from the Federal #9 and the 2 3/4" Apex #9. The pattern opens up slightly around 10 yards to about 10" then at 40 yards almost all pellets are in a 20" circle. I can't ask for better than that.
My gun has an issue feeding the 2nd shell into the chamber when shooting the roll crimp 3" shells but the Apex 2 3/4" shells feed as a second shell very well. The first shell is the Federal 3" #9. I've killed a few birds with them and they are deadly. I shot one a little farther than I rhought it was due to the openness of the woods at the time. It hammered the gobbler hard, I'll just say it was past 40 closer to 50 yards. I miss judged the distance and he got skidish, I shot when the other two separated from the strutter.

Either shell will give you great results if you don't choke it down too much. From what I understand TSS doesn't need a tight choke a more open choke will perform great in a 20 gauge for most people. My son in law shoots a .575 extended Carlson, I've also tried a .572" extended ported choke which done OK but the .580" flush Carlson choke I bought from BPS for $15.00 works the best in my gun.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
what gun and shell u currently using?
I’ve got a Baikal(Russian Remington) semi-auto 12 ga. Shooting Winchester #s 5&6 in 3”. Black box like @antharper has and the silver box Turkey load.

I shoot a youth model 11-87 20 g. with a flush mount Carlson .580 choke and get very good patterns from the Federal #9 and the 2 3/4" Apex #9. The pattern opens up slightly around 10 yards to about 10" then at 40 yards almost all pellets are in a 20" circle. I can't ask for better than that.
My gun has an issue feeding the 2nd shell into the chamber when shooting the roll crimp 3" shells but the Apex 2 3/4" shells feed as a second shell very well. The first shell is the Federal 3" #9. I've killed a few birds with them and they are deadly. I shot one a little farther than I rhought it was due to the openness of the woods at the time. It hammered the gobbler hard, I'll just say it was past 40 closer to 50 yards. I miss judged the distance and he got skidish, I shot when the other two separated from the strutter.

Either shell will give you great results if you don't choke it down too much. From what I understand TSS doesn't need a tight choke a more open choke will perform great in a 20 gauge for most people. My son in law shoots a .575 extended Carlson, I've also tried a .572" extended ported choke which done OK but the .580" flush Carlson choke I bought from BPS for $15.00 works the best in my gun.
Ok, these chokes are 20ga models right? I was looking at these numbers and getting baffled. I have a Turkey choke that’s a .665. This gun takes a tru-choke thread and it ain’t been easy to find them. Before that I had a .700 which was listed as full Turkey……I think the .665 is super full

Gaswamp

I’ve got a Baikal(Russian Remington) semi-auto 12 ga. Shooting Winchester #s 5&6 in 3”. Black box like @antharper has and the silver box Turkey load.

Ok, these chokes are 20ga models right? I was looking at these numbers and getting baffled. I have a Turkey choke that’s a .665. This gun takes a tru-choke thread and it ain’t been easy to find them. Before that I had a .700 which was listed as full Turkey……I think the .665 is super full
If you are using a 12ga and ur not into shooting long distances, then I would just stick to lead

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
TSS lets you use lighter gauges, lighters guns. If you’re going to tote a 12 it makes little sense, stick to lead. I like toting a 5 lb Turkey gun, got rid of my 12.